Should I Ask For Panacur?

Guest 20PawsinAlaska

Guest 20PawsinAlaska

:unsure My new baby came home 4 weeks ago today and I'm still waiting for a nice poop. I never wanted to be the lady that discussed her dog's poop but here I am. :blush

Jack Jack arrived and had diahrea from day one. After a week of diahrea and trying canned pumpkin, I had him fast for 24 hours and then started feeding rice and cooked turkey w/ tblspoon of plain yogurt. I did this for 1 week until we got to the vet. She diagnosed him w/ Giardia and gave us 5 days of Flagyl. 750 mg/dose x 2 per day. Our last dose was yesterday and he's still got the Big D. Over the past week I had weined him off the rice/turkey mixture and slowly added the dry kibble (Merrick).

I took new poop to vet this morning. My regular vet is away for 1 week and I have zero confidence in the "vet" that called with the results. The tech found no parasites in today's sample. She left it up to me what to do next!!!!!!!!! Now what?

From reading other posts: I should clean and sanatize yard and any place that could have been contaminated. Keep Jack from licking his butt. Possibly try Panacur. Consider IBS as a possibilty. Consider allergies. Any other ideas??

Thanks everyone.

Ps: appetite is good, he's drinking water very regulary, seems happy, good energy and super cute

Was he better when on the flagyl? If so, ask your vet for a longer course -- 10 days to 3 weeks.

If he's licking his butt a lot, have vet check anal glands, and keep an eye out for tapeworms (little wiggly rice or ribbon-like bits in his poop or on his butt). Tapeworms don't usually cause diarrhea, but anything is possible. (They're transmitted only by fleas, not by poop. If you do see some, the wormer you'd need is Droncit or Drontal; other wormers like Panacur don't treat tapes.)

I would probably worm twice with Panacur and see if that helps. Could also try adding half a metamucil wafer to his food twice a day (fiber wafer) and see if that helps.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Did he have diarrhea before he came to you? Knowing that might make a difference in figuring out what's wrong. :unsure

If he was OK before he came to you, getting him back on the same food would be ever so helpful.

Marcia in SC

I'd also lengthen the course of panacur. My vet treats it more aggressively and will prescribe 7 to 10 days. Giardia can be a bugger to clear up.

And Marcia's right on with the food - may be an issue there. Also, take stress into consideration, too. :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest rubysdad
:unsure My new baby came home 4 weeks ago today and I'm still waiting for a nice poop. I never wanted to be the lady that discussed her dog's poop but here I am. :blush

Jack Jack arrived and had diahrea from day one. After a week of diahrea and trying canned pumpkin, I had him fast for 24 hours and then started feeding rice and cooked turkey w/ tblspoon of plain yogurt. I did this for 1 week until we got to the vet. She diagnosed him w/ Giardia and gave us 5 days of Flagyl. 750 mg/dose x 2 per day. Our last dose was yesterday and he's still got the Big D. Over the past week I had weined him off the rice/turkey mixture and slowly added the dry kibble (Merrick).

I took new poop to vet this morning. My regular vet is away for 1 week and I have zero confidence in the "vet" that called with the results. The tech found no parasites in today's sample. She left it up to me what to do next!!!!!!!!! Now what?

From reading other posts: I should clean and sanatize yard and any place that could have been contaminated. Keep Jack from licking his butt. Possibly try Panacur. Consider IBS as a possibilty. Consider allergies. Any other ideas??

Thanks everyone.

Ps: appetite is good, he's drinking water very regulary, seems happy, good energy and super cute

Add 1 tablespoon of Metamucil to the food.