Questions About Possible Bleeding Disorder

Guest boondog

Guest boondog

My foster went in yesterday for a routine dental. The vet called and said they couldn't do the dental because they found blisters in her mouth that could indicate a bleeding disorder. Her pre-op bloodwork and snap test were fine. We're still waiting on the clotting test results. The vet is also trying to get in touch with Dr. Couto. I have to take her back for a full blood chemistry and urinalysis (they apologized for not doing it while she was already there). Besides yesterday's snap test, she had a full tick panel (Protatek) almost two years ago that was negative for everything. She's also been spayed about two years ago.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this? The vet said it's possible that this is nothing at all. If it is a bleeding disorder, it could be caused by an underlying autoimmune disorder. This is a happy, healthy girl who turns 4 tomorrow. :) Thanks in advance!

Guest boondog
Where were the blisters? Were they blisters or reddened gums? Ulcers?

She's not very cooperative, but I got a pretty good look at them this morning. They appear to be mainly on her gums. They really do look like red blisters and not ulcers. There are some blister-type pockets right at the gumline, too. It doesn't really look like the gingivitis I've seen before. I didn't get a really good look at the inside of her lip yet. I'll have DH hold her tonight so I can get a better look. If I'm really brave, I might try for pictures.

Edited by boondog

Guest greyladydown

Could it be Thrombocytopenia (a disorder with platelets)? When platelets get very low, little red dots often appear in the mouth and on skin.

Guest boondog
Could it be Thrombocytopenia (a disorder with platelets)? When platelets get very low, little red dots often appear in the mouth and on skin.

I haven't seen anything on her skin, but I haven't done a thorough investigation under her fur. The did pre-op bloodwork and said her cell count was fine. I assume that includes platelets?

Guest boondog
I wonder if it could be, I think it's called CUPS or an auto immune disorder that is treated with imuran. Dr. Couto will know as I have been consulting with him on Pablo. Pablo's gums are red, but no blisters.

Did they put her on antibiotics?

Not yet. They're waiting to get a more definitive result. She was due for routine vaccinations, but they didn't do those either.

Guest greyladydown

I haven't seen anything on her skin, but I haven't done a thorough investigation under her fur. The did pre-op bloodwork and said her cell count was fine. I assume that includes platelets?

A CBC includes a platelet count, but even if there are enough platelets, they may not be functioning properly and could cause a bleeding disorder.

If I'm really brave, I might try for pictures.

Little tip: Get someone to work on the ears (as if cleaning them- get a finger wrapped with a wipe down into the ear and clean) in order to distract from what's going on with the mouth. It might give an extra few seconds in order to take a picture.

See also the first image in this thread (unrelated to the gum disorder you're seeing, but a heck of a good pic, if I say so myself):

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest boondog
I will pray for her.

Thank you. This all makes me pretty nervous.

I got a better look at her mouth when I came home. There are other areas where her lips meet the very top of her gums that look more like ulcers than blisters.