Norvasc/amlodipine Side Effect

You may have read about Angel's extensive gingival hyperplasia last month. She has since had the laser reduction and only had to undergo two sessions to get it all. Her gums had become inflamed and had grown to cover her teeth. Dr Couto said he had never seen this in greys. It is more common in boxers and cats. When I got her last refill for Norvasc-the genereic form,(for her high blood pressure) they included an info sheet I hadn't gotten before and one of the side effects was...you guessed it! I had not seen this listed on any web site I researched. Nor had my vet. But when she searched with these terms specifically it comes up! So I think we may have solved the mystery of the ugly mouth! It is worth a try to switch her meds anyway because of the huge cost and I feel she is on way too high a dose.

Hmmm, I noticed recently that my 14 year old, Flake, (who has been on Norvasc since last year) had something that looked like gingival hyperplasia. It wasn't extreme and since she doesn't travel well and is unfortunately not doing well health-wise, I haven't brought her into work to have it looked at. I'll take a better look tonight and if it is that, I'll call her cardiologist tomorrow to see what he recommends.

I hope you are able to find something else for her high blood pressure and that her gums get better!!!

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I'm sorry Flake isn't well. Angel has always had dental problems and been a picky eater, but this was exteme. Some of her (remaining) teeth has disappeared! The problem with changing meds is the constant rechecking of the pressure-unless you can do it at home. If Flake doesn't travel that could be a problem. My vet is 5 mins. away and Angel loves to go. They had also wanted to put her on PPA for her bedwetting but that can cause hypertention too. We're going the holistic route with that.