Fleas! Anyone Use Best Yet By Cedarcide?

Saw our first flea yesterday. :angry: Not a big fan of parasites. But, I'm also not a fan of toxins that can harm my pets and my family. So, went looking, and found this stuff.

The text is all a little hysterical, with a whiff of snake oil, but looking for reviews off-site turned up some real glowing testimony, so ... I'm going to give it a try. Our flea problem is not too bad, but I don't want the little buggers getting a toe-hold.

Anyone ever seen or heard of this stuff, or used it?

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

One word: Advantage.

If you have ticks as well as fleas, then two words: Frontline Plus.

The "natural" remedies just plain don't work.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest longdogs

Cedar oils will kill ticks and fleas just like many other volatile oils. The oils dissolve components of their exoskeleton. Generally this means either direct contact with the oil or exposure to strong vapours. Insecticidal soaps and sprays based on cedar, tea-tree or other oils work this way. OK to deal with the occasional flea but unfortunately that doesn't make them good things to use if your dog is regularly exposed to fleas or ticks, nor does it mean they are safer for your dog than the conventional treatments such as Advantage, Frontline Plus, Revolution, Advocate etc. which are both safe and effective. Volatile oils can cause skin and respiratory irritation and some are directly toxic. If these parasites are only an occasional problem, an insecticidal soap or an oil spray is a reasonable way to go. I just attack fleas immediately if they appear, maybe once or twice per year. That means a Capstar pill for dogs and cats, possibly followed by one of the products above.

Yes, our flea problem is not big at all, and our season is short here, so I'm going for a less-is-more approach. I've also been disturbed by many dogs' reactions to Frontline and my reading about all of these systemic pesticides. If we can get away without them, great. I mean, we could just live with the fleas, but it would be better not. :)

So, no one has tried this stuff specifically, eh? Well, I'll keep you posted, 'cause I bought it. *fingers crossed*

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

The problem with things other than Frontline/Advantage and similar is, if you bring one live flea into the house, you'll have an infestation very shortly and nothing to control it. And tapeworms besides. The products you'll need to combat *those* problems are orders of magnitude beyond the original Frontline/Advantage.

I've heard of one or two reactions to Frontline/Advantage here on GT -- that for the enormous number of dogs here that use the product. I've never personally known a dog who couldn't have them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yeah, tapeworms. :puke I agree, Batmom, about wanting to avoid tapes. My outdoor semi-feral cat is due for his tapeworm meds, and the cedarcide isn't going to do anything for him, that's for sure. I will probably risk advantage on him. I've used it in the past with no problems, and I know there are lots who do, etc., but our problem is small-scale, so I'm going to give this a try, see if it does the trick.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest Scouts_mom

I'd be very careful with cedar-based products. I know of two greys that had very bad allergic reactions to sleeping on cedar beds. Just because something is said to be "natural" doesn't mean it is harmless. After all, arsenic is natural in some soils.