Excessive Thirst

Guest CarMar

Guest CarMar

We've had Jayden for almost three months now. Over the last couple of weeks we've noticed that he is drinking a lot of water. He drinks as much as we give him and then continues licking the bowl for more. The only other thing we've noticed is that he's shedding quite a bit, which we have attributed to the change to warmer weather. We haven't changed his food or his routine. My question is, when does thirst become excessive thirst and something to be concerned about? How much water is excessive? I read a few posts and there was talk about concentrating their urine. What does this mean?

Thanks for your help ...

Guest boondog

Congrats on your new boy. I would have a vet check him out. It may be nothing, but excessive thirst is a classic symptom of diabetes.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Time for the vet to make sure he doesn't have diabetes. If not, then he might have an obsessive/compulsive behavior going on.

Could be a number of things and could be nothing. With one of mine, it was his kidneys, and with another it was nothing. A vet check would be a really good idea. Does he have color to his urine?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest krisandzoo

My old girl had clear urine and excessive thirst - she'd actually wake me up to drink and pee. She has chronic kidney disease. I hope yours is nothing but its best to check just incase.

FYI - she's a 13yo yorkie mix, has had kindey issues for about a year and still going strong. So don't panic -if it is somethig wrong with proper care you may find few things change.

My old girl had clear urine and excessive thirst - she'd actually wake me up to drink and pee. She has chronic kidney disease. I hope yours is nothing but its best to check just incase.

FYI - she's a 13yo yorkie mix, has had kindey issues for about a year and still going strong. So don't panic -if it is somethig wrong with proper care you may find few things change.

Yep...same here. My 10 yr old has had kidney disease for 2 years and with the proper diet, she's doing great

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest paulamariez

Defintely check with the vet. But take a look at her urine if you can. Hopefully you will see some yellow color to it. When it's clear, that's not a good sign (kidneys) or as everyone before mentioned, possible diabetes. But something a little bit more hopeful, I have to mention our German Shepherd, Greta that we had growing up. She was just a fiend for water. However much you would put in her bowl, she would drink up. She would literally drink until she got sick and gave herself diarrhea and/or threw up. She got a clean bill of health from our vet and we literally had to monitor her drinking. She was given "X" amount of water, so many times a day and that was it! There could never be a dish of water left for her to drink. And she lived a long and healthy life! Talk to your vet though, and have a blood test run. I will keep Jayden in my thoughts and prayers that it's just a stress adjustment thing that will work itself out in time!