Question About Hot Packing.

Guest laceyj

Guest laceyj

Bean has a laceration with about 5 stitches, one week old. Went to the vet yesterday for a recheck, it is doing well except for a pouch of fluid. The vet wants to keep the stitches in for another week and I'm to continue the hot packing. They said to wet a wash cloth with hot water, wring it out and hold it on the area for 5 minutes, 3 times a day. We have been doing that, although we don't always make it the full 5 minutes. But I don't think it having much effect. It's not getting bigger, so the seeping has stopped I believe, but it's not getting smaller either.

By the time I get the washcloth ready and get hold of him and lead him to a good spot there doesn't seem to be much heat left in the cloth. I'm wondering if something else would provide a more lasting heat. I have one of those bean bag things you put in the microwave. If I'm sure not to make it too hot, would that be more effective?

Moist heat would be most effective. I would suggest using a larger hand towel, put into hot water, wring out, and apply to wound. As the towel cools, periodically you can unfold and place a warmer section back onto the wound. You should have adequate heat for a 5 min. treatment. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I gave a foster a hot soak over the weekend and wrapped her leg (and the hot epsom-soaked washcloth) in a plastic bag. It kept the heat very well for the 20 minutes I soaked her.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest laceyj

Thank you for the suggestions, they did the trick. 3 soaks already today and the 1/2 lemon sized pocket is almost gone. Of course my rug and 2 dog beds suffered a bit, but that's minor.

Thank you!