Guest Spiff

Poor Thunder! Spiff knows exactly how he feels!

We have tried a combination of different things for Spiff. The first time we did a depo-medrol shot it helped a lot. It had begun to wear off when he was visiting the ILs and the vet down there didn't want to do another shot, so she prescribed Rimadyl. That plus Traumeel tablets (a homeopathic soothing/healing preparation) worked quite well for almost a year. Spiff got another depo-medrol shot a few weeks ago, which helped, but not as dramatically as before. It helped some with his walking and knuckling over, but not with fecal incontinence this time. We plan to get him back onto the Rimadyl again once the depo-medrol seems like it's wearing off. I might also see if the ILs want to take him for a chiropractic adjustment the next time he is visiting with them - there is a chiropractor by them.

If you are interested in the Traumeel, you can get it in health food stores in the US.

traumeel.gif

We give Spiff 3 tablets twice a day, but you would probably want to check with your vet about using it in conjunction with Thunder's other supplements. We also give Spiff a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement along with it.

We don't let Spiff upstairs into our bedroom anymore, so he only has to climb 4 low steps to get to the front door and 3 low steps in the back of the house. We try not to let him run too much in the yard because he goes out of control sometimes!! Thankfully, he's given up on getting on the furniture - possibly because his beds are more comfortable!!

We do try to walk him frequently, albeit slowly, in an effort to prevent loss of muscle mass. I think it's really important to keep him as mobile as possible. He always improves when he has been visiting the ILs, because FIL walks him at least 4 times a day, including one really long walk! (Sadly, he wasn't able to go on the long walks the last visit, though, which was shortly before his most recent depo-medrol shot. I hope that he'll be able to go for longer walks now that he's been treated, when he visits with the ILs in two weeks...)

When Cody had her back problems, she was on acupunture & prednisone (much to the acu's dismay...). I also got her a sling (from Dr. Foster & Smith, I think...) and that worked GREAT for walks & peeing!! (MIght NOT for a boy though...) but it'd work for his poop squat... you could hold him up from the top!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts -- it means a lot. I'll talk to my vet and see if she can do the shot at my house and about some of the other suggestions made. I REALLY appreciate your help/thoughts ... :)

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions