I'm Confused - Why Do We Have To Do A Heartworm Test Every Year?

Guest Kpparker

Guest Snowy8

Mine are on heart worm preventative all year long...We have mosquitos pass through when its warm...

When I adopted BuyCut, he had level 4 heartworms...the previous owner did not have him on preventative. It took a toll on him, but he took it like a trooper. No side effects.

I'd rather spend the money on heart worm preventative, than possibly lose my dog to the worms & to the treatment.

MY vet says give it to them all year long.

Guest taylorsmom

Mine are on preventive all year round now, not just for HW prevention but also to prevent the nasty other worms like hooks and whips. When we adopted Rita she was HW positive, not a severe case, but she had to go through the injection tx and be kept quiet (yeah, right) etc. etc. No fun. Even though I am a proponent of natural and herbal methods of tx, I researched the HW preventatives and feel that the risks of contracting HW far outweigh any negatives of putting a monthly "chemical dose" in their bodies. Rita still has a mild heart murmur (we were just at the vet this morning and he still hears it) that I believe is a result of her case of HW.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to find out what mosquito "zone" I am in??? Thanks!

Edited by taylorsmom