Esophagal Puncture

Guest isabella

Guest isabella

My spooked grey ran into a car. There was a major laceration on her hip. Before surgery her vitals were very good and she was walking well. After surgery, she was vomitting blood. After many days and $10,000 later, I had to put her down. They say she had a punctured esophagus, both frontal and dorsal. I am now wondering if this could have happened when they inserted the tube down her throat during her operation for stitching her leg. How can an esophagus be punctured in such a way and no external damage done? Could it have been punctured during the insertion of the tube? We would just like to understand how we lost our beautiful girl. None of the vets had ever seen such a medical before.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I am so sorry to hear that you've lost your girl. Unfortunately, I think only persons that can give you the answers are the ones that were involved in her care. I am so sorry that you've had to lose your girl in such a tragic way. :sad1

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest argolola

That does sound unusual. I know we have some medical professionals on the board that may be able to answer your question.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Edited by argolola

I can't possibly imagine how a Intra tracheal tube could cause such damage. Yes, you can damage the larynx by either using a larger tube then necc. or by over inflating the cuff. I wonder if she had a congenial abnormality in that area. Exactly what did the Drs say? I'm so sorry that you lost your girl this way--it's always so hard especially when it's so unexpected :(

Guest longdogs

It does seem strange to get that type of injury from an impact. I don't know how the question can be resolved without an expert post-mortem examination. Sorry this happened to you.

I would ask for an explanation from the surgeons involved. I've been trained in intubation as an EMT, and although one can do damage via intubation, such a gross injury from highly-skilled people seems unlikely.

You may ask for a necropsy at a local vet school if possible.

Sorry for your loss.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest LynnM

You'd have to ask the people that cared for her. The esophagus is a very elastic tube, and is more resistant to damage than other structures in the vicinity (ie, the trachea), so it would take a bit to mess it up.

Lynn

How awful to lose your girl after all you did to save her.

Is it too late to do a necropsy? If so, the doctors should be able to give more details. I hope you can get closure on this.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Marcia

Guest lotsagreys4me

I ma so sorry for your loss. I hope you can get some answers so you can have closure. What a terrible things. Sending lots of hugs your way

Guest alannamac

I am so sorry for your loss.

to answer your question is difficult without a post-mortem exam.My heavens, unless there were broken bones in her esophogeal area,how would it puncture other than by the intubation? A rupture is possible with violent trauma to the neck, but I think you'd see other neck injuries. Please wait to hear from a few of the vets on this forum before paying your bill. 10,000 is astronomical. Vets and technicians can make errors, and of course these things may happen tragically. You certainly should not have to pay so much if it's a medical error.