Poor Baby

Guest Latch

Guest Latch

Well, over a month ago, Latch was treated for a staph infection with Simplicef 200mg for 21 days. It didn't seem to make much of a difference because at the end of the 21 days he still had some spots, but they appeared to be scabs and healing up. When I took him in for his check up, the vet said she thought it looked like it was cleared up, but now a month later he has even more spots! I got more simplicef and we are trying that again, but it's so frustrating. I feel so bad for him with all those sores (he doesn't seem to mind, but they are really icky looking). I was looking at one and trying to see the sore (I can tell he's getting a new one when his hair starts standing up in that place) and all of the sudden I guess it popped and white stuff oozed out :eek I just don't know what to do. What if this round of antibiotics doesn't work? I've never had a dog with a staph infection! Can humans get it? My vet said she doubted it was the same strand that humans get, but she didn't say she was 100% positive. Anyone know anything I can do? I got some chlorhexiderm shampoo that some had suggested last time, but how often should I bathe him in it?

Oh crud. I don't know anything to tell you. MIL currently has a staph infection from knee replacement surgery - and it's been a bear to treat. It's a VERY hardy little germie. I think if I were you I'd find out FOR SURE if humans can catch it. You don't want it. Good luck.