Tick Prevention

Guest CJsRunningKnot

Guest CJsRunningKnot

Hi We live in Greene County NY next to NY's highest Lymes Tick area Columbia county. We are finding ticks (both deer and dog) on us and Grey every time we go out I am talking onto my lawn not even in the hay fields. My son has been treated for lymes 2 times and had it full blown once. I have used Adams tick repellent on her in the past but was wondering if any one had tried anything else and had better luck like front line etc. What about A vaccine I know in the past they were giving it to dogs any one know anything about this subject. Thanks

Adams doesn't seem to really work well.

Get something from your vet

The lyme vac isn't 100%, so even if you opt for that, you still need to use prevention.

If the ticks are that bad, check the dog over EVERY time you come in as well and make sure you remove/kill any ticks you find.

I use the Preventic collars. I've never had to pull a tick of either of the boys since moving here . . . .

The amitraz used in Preventic is now available in a new spot-on treatment (Promeris) and is apparently the best thing out there for ticks. There's another chemical in the treatment for fleas and while I know amitraz is OK for greys, I don't know about the other ingredient.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest CJsRunningKnot

Spoke w/ vet and Cornell co. op . Cornell usually tries to be holistic in treating yard pest etc. i.e. check for ticks and pick them off, this year its so bad they say bring out the big guns and spray spray spray ( Re the yard not the dog ) Problem is were on over 64 acres 2 of which I consider my "yard". May need a crop duster LOL. I will not let my girly girl go anywhere near were I spray nor will my children or myself, may have to wait till we can all leave and go camping for a few days . It has to be the only thing I have trouble dealing with living here is the ticks, but you go another 30 miles north and they dont have any, go figure. And it only keeps getting worse every year, It has to level off at some point, every one I know has an immediate family member who has had lymes. Thanks for your help.

Edited by CJsRunningKnot

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

Frontline Plus kills ticks, and can be used with a Preventic Collar. There's a yard granule that you can buy at Lowes... wanting to say its "Over N Out" fire ant killer, that the active ingredient is FIPRONIL (as in - FRONTLINE!!). That will kill the fleas and ticks, however you want to also do something to prevent them from breeding. www.fleasmart.com sells a product called "Archer". its an insect growth regulator (birth control) that works on fleas, ticks, roaches, ants, and any other insect that goes through a "larveal" stage (doesn't work on spiders or scorpions). You only have to spray it four times a year as well. The lady who owns the FleaSmart website is VERY Sighthound knowledgeable as well, and if you have any other problems and worry about your Grey's, she can answer those questions.

If you want to get rid of fleas and ticks in your yard, there's the solution.

Guest longdogs

Environmental tickicides are problematic. Either they don't work well or they are toxic to the wrong things. I would stick to treating your hound and preventic collars are supposed to work well. I've only ever used Frontline Plus spray but we don't have a big tick problem.