Here We Go Again!

Naples WAS feeling better...

She was outside this morning, running with the (Borzoi) foster girl, as Bill was filling bird feeders. We were planning to leave to take a drive to a couple state parks along Lake Michigan's shore with the boys. I went outside to wander the yard a bit, as Bill finished with the feeders.

I noticed that she was panting hard, and asked if she ran. Bill said she and Indigo had run hard together. Then I noticed that Naples was limping. I was thinking, at her age, "Crap! Not cancer..." I took a look, and saw a couple flecks of blood near her dew claw. Looked closer, and saw that it was out at a weird angle, and bloody (though not as bloody as I'd have thought).

So, I checked it out, expecting her to whine and/or yelp in pain. She did nothing, though I knew it had to be hurting her. I palpated, and found that the joint seems to be dislocated.

I called the vet, and talked to the actual doctor. He thinks we can wait till Monday for surgery to remove it (she needs a dental as well, so we'll do it all). Since he is planning to remove the joint altogether, he does not think this is emergant, so he suggested that he could see her to wrap it. I said, I have the supplies, so I can do that, no need to drive 45 minutes one way for some Telfa and vetwrap. He said that was fine.

So, for now, we are leash-walking so she does not run and injure herself more. She is doing well muzzled (and poop-cupped) when we cannot supervise. Right now, she is on her bed in the family room with us now, resting semi-comfortably. And she is on antibiotics, in preparation for the dental, so I doubt we have to worry about infection.

What else can this little brat do to herself?! :rolleyes:

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Oh, and I meant to say also, we are probably going to have the vet take both of them off at the same time: prevents injury in the future, and if she's going to be laid up anyway, may as well take advantage.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

OW.

Give sweet girlie some scritchies for me. Hope dental and surgery goes well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor kid - I went to change the bandage last night, and really hurt her. I poured on a ton of saline to loosen the blood, and un-stick the gauze. It worked, but I needed to keep adding more saline. She was NOT happy! Thank goodness we muzzled her, because she did try to bite me! I can't blame her!

So now, her bandage is much looser (I had put on the first one fairly tightly, to stop bleeding, and provide support), and narower, so it's not down over the pad.

Then we both got Rescue Remedy!

Little girl is home and resting. She lost 6 more teeth! :blink: It's a wonder she has any left! Poor girlie.

But she's sacked out in her crate, enduring the boys' sniffing (She smells funny, Mom!). Front legs are wrapped, of course.

She'll be on antibiotics for three weeks, but it won't stop her!

Guest VanillaBean

My little Peppy kept snagging his dew claws on the carpet and halfway ripping them out. I finally got sick of it and had them removed. Took forever to heal, but sure nice having them off!