Bleeding Ulcers?

Guest CyndiW

Guest CyndiW

Alex is 1 week out from his Adria and doing great (almost). He has been eating well and is very active. However, this evening his stools have been very black and tarry and they are sticking all over him back there (quite an ordeal to clean up even with baby wipes). I called the clinic where he receives his chemo and fortunately one of the internists was still in. She told the receptionist to tell me to stop the pred immediately (no dose tonight or in the morning), feed him a bland diet, and call the other internist who is filling in for the oncologist (who is sick) tomorrow afternoon. Is there anything else I should do or watch for before I get to speak to her? I gave him some Carafate and will feed him one more meal tonight of boiled hamburger and rice. Do these usually have a good outcome and heal quickly if caught early? After they heal, is the dog able to go back on the pred maybe giving carafate before or giving a lower dose of pred? The pred has helped him fight this beast in so many ways but I have also read that bleeding ulcers can be life-threatening. Any suggestions or experiences?

Guest Cris_M

Ask your vets about Cytotec. It protected Gabriel's gut from massive doses of pred. I don't know if it will help heal the ulcer, but I certainly understand that you are between a rock and hard place trying to balance which is worse, pred or ulcers -- especially since pred is a med that one tapers off of rather than quitting cold turkey.

Give Alex an extra scritch for me. Poor sweetie. And give yourself a hug. Sounds like you'll be needing it.

This is my understanding... once you have a bleeding ulcer from pred, you are no longer a pred candidate.

Ryan is not allowed to ever be put on Pred again since all it took was one dose for him.

Carafate as well as pepcid and prilosec is what he was on for about a month after he had his issues.

Sending prayers for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.