Hookworms!

I took Zoe to the vet's this morning for bloody diarrhea and they found hookworms :eek I have fecals checked annually never any parasites....the girls are on Interceptor from April to November here in PA. I'm going to start them on Interceptor all year round now!

Hopey who is having her own issues (we are still waiting for the results of bloodwork) is also going to be treated for hookworm!

I'm reading different treatments of the yard for hookworm, some say use a pesticide (but which?) and some say just clean the poop up right away (which I do daily). Does any one know if treatment of the yards is needed.

I have no idea where they got hookworms, they are the only dogs in our yard....we do go on neighborhood and human park walks :huh I

Edited by Fudge

Guest mandm

I went to year round Interceptor for this reason too. After full Panacur treatment.

I'm not really sure, but I think it is Whips that are impossible to eliminate from the environment. I think Hooks don't survive freezing or dry, direct sunlight. So you can hope for another hard freeze. Or summer drought.

I assume that my backyard has both Hooks & Whips (BBQ anyone?). I just clean up immediately and do yr round Interceptor. I think it is all you can do.

It's yucky, but it is a relatively minor problem.

Guest greyladydown

Hooks can be a pain to clean up. When we get in a new dog, we deworm, then segregate the dog from the main potty area until we know the little buggers are out of their system. We use straight bleach on the spot, after we pick up all the poop. A brine solution will also work. You really have to be careful to get all of the poop out of the grass.

Google, "Managing Hookworms in the Landscape" to read a great article (I just tried, but the server must be down at the moment)

Edited by greyladydown

I've always been told that once they are in your soil, they survive most anything short of a nuclear blast. You'll have them for a few years, and all you can do is monthly Interceptor.

We've got 'em too, brought to us by a non-Grey foster a couple years ago.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.