Severly Dislocated Toe

Poor Foley! Last fall, she came into the house with her right hind off the ground - took her to the vet and somehow, she'd broken it! Vet said it was the kind of break that resulted from jumping down off something - well, our backyard is flat and Foley doesn't go on furniture. She healdd very well and the cast came off after 6 weeks.

Last week, I noticed that she was not weight bearing on the leg all the time. Thinking she'd pulled or banged it, I let it go until this past Monday - took her in and my regular vet wasn't there. So, vet#2 looks at her - very briefly, after I mentioned about the break last fall. He said there didn't seem to be anything wrong and unless I wanted to do an x-ray, all he'd do is prescribe Rimadyl. So, off we go after a bill of $77. Later on inthe week, I see she is no better, so I really look at her leg/foot. What do I see?? The outside of the paw has a lick sore that is right down to the bone and the nail from that toe is buried in the soft part of the next toe pad -and I mean buried.

I get it out - with a whimper from Foley (she is very stoic and does not use the Greyhound shreik of death!!), and dress it with antibiotic cream and padding then wrap it. DH was out of town and I couldn't get Foley into my 1 ton truck. Yesterday, Mike takes her into our regulat vet and after a thorough examination and rxays, it is determined that Foley had a severly dislocated toe!! It took a lot of umph to place the toe back where it belonged. She now has a splint and ace banadage to above her hock that should come off in 6 days.

I really feel bad that I missed this, but am also PO'ed at vet #2 for not even giving her a proper examination! BTW was not charged for the exam by our vet.

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Poor Baby I am so sorry. Mommy don't beat yourself up, it was not your fault you took her to the vet. I hope she feels better real soon. :bighug:getwell

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Hotwire

Poor thing! I am sure your pupper is feeling much better now that the toe is facing the right direction! Hotwire had a dislocated toe last fall (not nearly as bad as your pup though)