Is Acupuncture Considered Holistic

I don't really understand what "holistic" means in terms of treatment. I've always thought it meant all natural but I'm not sure. I hear people refer to acupuncture as a holistic practice.I've had acupuncture really help with my dogs but the vet who does the acupuncture is not a holistic vet. Would someone be willing to explain it? Thank you

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Acupuncture is just one of the treatment modalities that is frequently used by a holistic medical practitioner. Other non-traditional modalities include: homeopathy, chiropractic, herbal medicine, etc. See this LINK for additional information. I also just posted something about this in the other link about Holistic Medicine.

This is from the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association website:

"At the core of this issue lies the very essence of the word "(w)holistic". It means taking in the whole picture of the patient—the environment, the disease pattern, the relationship of pet with owner—and developing a treatment protocol using a wide range of therapies for healing the patient."

"Holistic (or Integrative or Complementary) Veterinary Medicine is the examination and diagnosis of an animal, considering all aspects of the animal's life and employing all of the practitioner's senses, as well as the combination of conventional and alternative (or complementary) modalities of treatment. When a holistic veterinarian sees a pet, besides giving it a comprehensive physical examination, he/she wants to find out all about its behaviors, distant medical and dietary history, and its environment including diet, emotional stresses, and other factors."

Hope this helps. :)

edited 'cause I can't type.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown