When Daddy Leaves My Greyhound Starts Popping Pills

Guest reyes

Guest reyes

My husband left today on a business trip. Seeing him leave with his suitcase obviously affected Reyes.

Back the truck up: I bought iron pills after God knows how long of not using them yesterday. In the excitement of reading the little instruction sheet in Spanish I left them on the table. :eek

After research (thank goodness I read that instruction sheet) Iron seems quite dangerous! Now, there were twelve pills popped out of their packaging. Iron, I assume doesn't taste very pleasant, which is why they coat them with candy. I found eleven pills in varios states of un-sticky-coatedness. The last pill could still be out there.

I tell you all this because I just want to make sure that if their are signs of poison I know what they are. So far she seems normal, although she peed more than she usually does on her evening walks.

What else should I be looking for?

Guest mysymba

Oh dear....someone with more knowledge I am hoping will answer you...but I believe get some hydrogen peroxide pronto into that dog and get him to throw up........best wishes......keep us updated......... :unsure

Guest reyes

She seems fine, really - but I just want to make sure that there is nothing specific I should be looking for.

I love my nervous nelly!

So, sounds like she possibly ate one pill? Likely not a cause for concern.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Iron pills tend to cause constipation and dark stools even when used at therapeutic levels. From the Merck Veterinary Manual (emphasis mine):

Multivitamin preparations contain varying amounts of iron. Unless otherwise listed, iron should be assumed to be elemental iron. Various iron salts may contain 12-48% elemental iron. Iron has direct caustic or irritant effects on the GI mucosa. It can also be a direct mitochondrial poison. Once the iron-carrying capacity of serum has been exceeded, free iron is deposited in the liver where it damages mitochondria, leading to necrosis of periportal hepatocytes. Signs of iron toxicosis usually develop within 6 hr. Initial vomiting and diarrhea, with or without blood, may be followed by hypovolemic shock, depression, fever, acidosis, and liver failure 12-24 hr later, often with a period of apparent recovery in between. Oliguria and anuria secondary to shock-induced renal failure may also occur. Ingestion of >20 mg/kg of elemental iron generally warrants decontamination and administration of GI protectants. Additional treatment and monitoring will be necessary for patients that have ingested >60 mg/kg of elemental iron. Milk of magnesia can complex with iron to decrease its absorption from the GI tract. Serum iron levels and the total iron binding capacity should be checked at 3 hr and again at 8-10 hr post-exposure. If serum iron is >300 mg/dL, or greater than the total iron binding capacity, chelation therapy may be needed. Desferoxamine (40 mg/kg, IM, every 4-8 hr) is a specific iron chelator and is most effective within the first 24 hr post-ingestion, before iron has been distributed from blood to tissues. Other signs should be treated symptomatically.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Ingestion of >20 mg/kg of elemental iron generally warrants decontamination and administration of GI protectants. Additional treatment and monitoring will be necessary for patients that have ingested >60 mg/kg of elemental iron. Milk of magnesia can complex with iron to decrease its absorption from the GI tract. Serum iron levels and the total iron binding capacity should be checked at 3 hr and again at 8-10 hr post-exposure. If serum iron is >300 mg/dL, or greater than the total iron binding capacity, chelation therapy may be needed. Desferoxamine (40 mg/kg, IM, every 4-8 hr) is a specific iron chelator and is most effective within the first 24 hr post-ingestion, before iron has been distributed from blood to tissues. Other signs should be treated symptomatically.

Huh. Reyes, do you know what the dosage was?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest reyes

80mg of elemental iron. i'll be watching her tonight anyway.

Thanks so much ahicks51.

Edited by reyes

I don't know how much was consumed but an iron overdose is incredibly serious and really not something to just watch for.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

80mg of elemental iron. i'll be watching her tonight anyway.

Thanks so much ahicks51.

So, if 20 mg/kg is an actionable level, a 20 kg grey (44 pounds for the metric-impaired) would work out to 400 mg for a tiny greyhound. If all this is true, it would seem she's in the clear. Let's all hope! :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest LindsaySF

One 80 mg pill shouldn't be cause for concern. If she ate multiple pills, I'd be rushing to the vet. Hopefully everything turns out fine. :)