Fusing The Hock

Guest BradyzMommy

Guest BradyzMommy

Brady has arthritis in his left rear hock and it has been suggested that fusing the hock joint may solve the problem. Our ortho has also recommended stem cell treatment.

Does anyone have any experience with either one of these solutions?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Doesn't something similar occur in hock fractures that are left untreated for whatever reason? i.e., the bones fuse on their own?

The stem cell option is interesting. I had heard treatments were available, but had no idea they could use them for ortho work- let alone anything more than tentative experiments!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest BradyzMommy

since the hock is an "unforgiving" joint just like the elbow in a human, it is much harder to treat. the stem cell treatments in the hips have amazing results. the treatments in the hock are a little more unpredictable. it all depends on the dog and the extent of damage.

we are lucky in the fact that we live close to a vet facility that has done experimental treatment and is now offering them as a solution to various problems.

Edited by BradyzMommy

Asked to comment:

My last Greyhound had a natural arthrodesis (fusion) of his joint secondary to a central tarsal fracture that was put in a cast instead of surgically repaired. His 'ankle' was a mess on x-ray but functionally he did well on the leg. He limped a bit in really cold weather but overall was just fine. I think a surgical arthrodesis is a good procedure when warranted.

I have no experience wiht stem cell therapy.... here is a link to some more information:

www.vet-stem.com/smallanimal/

It is definitely experimental... might help... might not. Don't really see how it can hurt. I wonder how much it costs?

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest LadyChester

I've seen very good results in dogs who had this done after certain types of fractures. You almost can't tell they had an injury at all. Was Brady's hock broken at some point?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BradyzMommy
It is definitely experimental... might help... might not. Don't really see how it can hurt. I wonder how much it costs?

We were quoted $3,000.