Any Experience With Ibuprofen And Dogs?

giadog

Somehow, despite all of our efforts to the otherwise, the pups always manage to find a way to hurt themselves. Yesterday afternoon, they got into the medicine cabinet and, between the 3 of them, ate 1 - 1.5 prescription strength (800 mg) Ibuprofen. I called the e-vet, who said that those levels shouldn't be toxic, and they told me what symptoms to look for. We think they got into them sometime between 2 and 5 yesterday afternoon, and so far no one is showing any symptoms.

They're not lethargic or anemic (gums are still pink), they're having normal urinary/bowel movements (no bloody or blackish bowels/urine, and they have no abdomen pain. Does anyone have any experience with dogs/ibuprofen who could give me some advice? I'm not sure when we'll be in the clear. I know that ibuprofen has a half life of 5 hours, so it should be mostly cleared out of their system at this point, but I'd like to know when/if i can stop worrying.

So- maybe 1200 mg ibuprofen max?

Merck Veterinary Manual sez "An acute single ingestion of 100-125 mg/kg can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, and anorexia. Renal failure may follow dosages of 175-300 mg/kg. CNS effects (ie, seizures, ataxia, depression, coma) in addition to renal and GI signs can be seen at dosages >400 mg/kg. Dosages >600 mg/kg are potentially lethal in dogs."

So- a 44 pound greyhound (very small) = 20 kg, and 100 mg/kg * 20 kg = 2,000 mg. If you're not seeing any "vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, or anorexia," I'd say you're in the clear after 8 half-lives (4.6 hours * 8 = 36 hours). If you haven't seen any of those yet (and your hounds are almost certainly larger than the 44-pound example), y'all should be OK.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)