Glucosamine Chondroitin Supp?

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

I need to get Dempsey on a glucosamine chondroitin supplement to help keep my tripod in tip-top shape. :) Any suggestions on a particular brand? The doctor said we can use a human pill, it just should be a name brand. I'm also supposed to stick within 340-390mg per day of the chondroitin. This poor hound is going to have to swallow so many pills now.... :)

We use one for Argos, and it works great. He never limps anymore. We got it from the vet and it was fairly pricey. Our vet told us to use that first and make sure that glucosamine would work for his arthritis before we started switching to cheaper or people brands.

I'll look at the bottle when I get home and post the name.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I have used Cosequin for years and switched to Dasuquin when the company came out with it. Mine have all done very well and all 4 of mine are senior/geriatric ages (11-12.5). They are flavored so 3 of mine think they are getting 2 wonderful treats each evening!! However, my oldest and newest boy has decided he doesn't like them and quite frankly I am tired of giving so much $ to my vets. Therefore, I recently placed an ordered with the greyhoundgang.com for some of her get up and go products. They arrived yesterday and I gave them last night. It will take awhile to see if they work as well but they should because they are pure glucosamine and chrondroitin (shark cartilage). Plus the nice thing is they are powder and you don't have to give very much so mine had no idea they were hidden in their food bowls last night. ;)

Guest greyvettech

Dasuquin works great! I work at an animal hospital and I've heard/seen from clients that their geriatric hounds are like puppies again! It truly does work well and it is made just for dogs..Your local Veterinarian should have it or be able to order it for you...I highy recommend Dasuquin over any other supplement! It is a little pricey..Our large Dasuquin is $76 but you get 84 tablets and you start with two tablets twice daily as a loading dose, then you cut down to a maintenance dose of one tablet per day..they are chewables and,chances are, your hound will find them appetizing!

Guest HeatherDemps
I get supplements from Greyhound Gang http://www.greyhoundgang.org/index.php

With the Chondroitin, I was told to stay between 340 to 390 mg per day- on this site it is 1650mg. Something must be off b/c what I was told and that, don't even come close. The doctor's rec was based on Dempsey's weight..... Hmmm, I'll have to do some more investigating.

I've tried quite a few :) The best in my opinion is by Springtime Inc. You can do a combination of Joint Health and Fresh Factors.

Springtime

The chondroitin is from bovine which is the best!

Thanks Diane. I have seen Fresh Factors mentioned on CoG, but never knew what it was! :)