Dandruff/dry Skin Issues

Guest janlove

Guest janlove

I've noticed increased amounts of dandruff on my grey recently, along with dry patches on his belly and under his arms. What types of supplements are people having success with?

I've recently began with a tablespoon of Safflower oil in his food.

Should I be concerned that this is any more than dry skin? Could it be a skin parasite?

Thanks

Edited by janlove

Guest janlove

Fish oil caps or flax seed oil caps. Where do you live (climate)?

I live in Connecticut. Do you usually just break open the caps, and put the liquid into the food? Do you give just one capsule a day?

Guest ArtysPeople

A switch in food (to Canidae Lamb & Rice) and addition of fish oil finally cured Arty's underarm flakies, which he'd had since we got him last June. They had gotten worse in the cold, dry weather, too.

ETA: we use a fish oil that's sold in a bottle, and just dump a tablespoon or so on top of breakfast every day.

Edited by ArtysPeople

Guest Javagirl

Thanks for raising this issue because I'm having the same issue with our grey, Ladd. I have been using the fish oil twice a day and I was also directed at the pet store to try using and oatmeal enhanced shampoo. Has anyone had any positive/negative experience with this?

Thanks bunches

Guest ArtysPeople
Thanks for raising this issue because I'm having the same issue with our grey, Ladd. I have been using the fish oil twice a day and I was also directed at the pet store to try using and oatmeal enhanced shampoo. Has anyone had any positive/negative experience with this?

Thanks bunches

I noticed that Arty's flakies actually get worse whenever we have to bathe him (which is only when he has an "accident" in his crate, which hasn't been for a while now :goodluck ). I'd advise against bathing unless absolutely necessary, since it will probably just dry his skin out worse. Brushing with a soft, natural-bristle brush is supposed to help distribute oils, so you might look into buying one if you feel the need to groom regularly.

How many fish oil caps/mg for a 75 pound little man...The Flashman! :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Javagirl

Hey Patricia,

My Ladd is 73 lbs and I was advised two fish oil caplets/day by my adoption agent. I don't even break them open, he likes them just as they are, like a little treat. I don't specifically remember the mgs but I bought a standard capsule size. I've definitely seen a difference in the softness of his coat.

Kristyn

Hey Patricia,

My Ladd is 73 lbs and I was advised two fish oil caplets/day by my adoption agent. I don't even break them open, he likes them just as they are, like a little treat. I don't specifically remember the mgs but I bought a standard capsule size. I've definitely seen a difference in the softness of his coat.

Kristyn

Thank you! Ok I have Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg softgels that I take...would this work? 1 or 2? B)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest SoulsMom
Thank you! Ok I have Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg softgels that I take...would this work? 1 or 2? B)

Soul gets two 1000mg per day, but his skin still starts looking a little flaky when it get all stirred up from being loved on at the meet and greets . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Max is 72 lbs. His skin got very dry and flakey during

Chemo. His oncologist recommended 2-1000 mg fish oil

tablets a day. I give one in the morning and one with his

evening meal. I started after his last Chemo 2/1/08 and

I can already see the difference.