Cut On Leg Joint

Guest celticfairiemom

Guest celticfairiemom

Callie was running off leash (enclosed field) and cut her leg on a piece of ice. We brought her home and dh has run out to get stuff for us to take care of it. She is sleeping while i sit here and hold the wound shut. the skin is split right on the bone but I did get the bleeding stopped. what should i sue to treat her? he is getting betadine to cleanse it, liquid bandage, vet wrap, steptic powder in case it starts bleeding again and BMI powder (assuming he can find it all). I am typing one handed while i hold the pressure on it to keep her from bending it and opening it further. ideas anyone? help please - i'm new to greyhounds and cuts!!!

I would just clean it well and wrap it snugly. Make sure you don't wrap it too tight though because you don't want to cut off circulation. I wouldn't use liquid bandage because that stuff really stings and probably won't work that well anyway.

Guest celticfairiemom

I wouldn't use liquid bandage because that stuff really stings and probably won't work that well anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

what will stop the cut from splitting more though? I am concerned that every bend is going to split it further. will the wrap keep it closed enough do you think?

Do the wrap for tonight and check it in the morning. If it looks OK, it should be alright, if not , you should bring her in to the vet for them ot check it, just in case.

I sympathize with you. At one time or another all 4 of mine have had wicket cuts on their legs.

hope she is OK.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest celticfairiemom

thank you Robin and Sheila. She is all wrapped and bandaged and covered with a baby sock to prevent her peeling all the work off. She seems fine - she slept through the whole process and has loved the extra biscuits and cheese cubes she got as a reward for being so good.

Poor Callie!

Our vet (actually it was our surgical vet that was near the track and handled greyhound neutering on a regular basis) once told us that we should have brought in our grey for a pretty deep leg cut when we brought him in for something else and the cut just happened to be brand new. He did stitch it and I believe he said to bring them in when the wound is severe enough to separate the skin (enough that you have to bandage it to keep it closed). We agreed at that time that we should have but we have had other cuts since then that weren't too scary but needed bandaging for a few days before they could be allowed to heal without bandages. These probably would be considered bad enough to get stitches but the other thing he said was that they would leave scars if they weren't stitched. I can verify that this is correct: Woodie has white legs and they are pretty scarred up by now. If he doesn't get stitched up, he scars. I don't consider that a bad thing, but I think that is the difference in healing. I'm not sure we have ever seen them with a cut to the bone, however, but they've been really deep. So, if you want a pristine greyhound with no visible scars, take them in immediately. Otherwise, if you can keep it clean and infection-free, they will heal at home too. It's always a judgement call, though, with these thin-skinned pups!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest celticfairiemom

She seems to be healing well. it wasn't cut to the bone, the cut was just right over the leg joint so when ever she bent her leg it seemed to split more. We changed the bandage and cleaned it out a little more and it is just a line now (since she is sleeping all day - except for when she steals the rice pudding! she is really resting it).

I did call the vet and they said watch it carefully and if it isn't mostly closed in a few days to bring her in so they can see it.

Good to hear that she is getting her rest!

Soon, she'll be fine and hopefully all this ice will actually m--e--l--t!!!!

As long as there are people to love her, care for her and feed her forbidden....I mean, delicious, treats, that is!!!!!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background