That's A Weird Place For A Tooth To Chip!

We have no idea how Monty managed this, but he has what looks like a chip that has flaked off from the outside of his lower canine tooth. Not at the top: not where it would seem to strike something when eating or playing or whatever. He went into the vet to have it looked at and she said we should just keep an eye on it and make sure nothing else goes wrong with it. It isn't bad enough to need a root canal yet (owie), but the vet said that it is a weakness that could cause problems in the future. It doesn't seem to be causing him any pain (no excessive reaction when brushing his teeth, for example).

Has anyone else ever had a weird "flaking tooth" issue like this? If anyone has seen this, is it something that is likely to recur (like he has teeth that are just prone to this in general)? I never would have considered it a possibility if I hadn't seen it in Monty.

Toni and the gang

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie has some enamel loss on an upper canine due to buildup/tartar. I have been using Wyson Dentatreat for about a week now, and can notice a big difference on the tartar levels of the front teeth. I put it on their food and I brush their teeth with it.

If it becomes an issue, we'll most likely just yank the tooth, as I've read that root canals often don't work and you end up pulling the tooth anyway.

I feed mine raw, and their canines aren't used that much anyway.