Chemo And Food

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey is scheduled for his second chemo treatment next Wednesday. He did fine with the first one except for it affecting his appetite- well, I assume it was the chemo, his appetite changed that night or the next day. He still won't eat his kibble and ignores most canned food. He's been getting turkey and rice or chicken and noodles along with canned G/D- the one food that he will consistently eat. This afternoon, I tried dry G/D and he snarfed down 1.5 cups of that. So, now that I think we are on to something he'll keep eating, I'm wondering if the chemo next week is going to zap this one out too and if we'll be starting all over again? It has been difficult to get weight back on him so I really want to work on this over the next week before his treatment because I'm concerned he's starting to seem a bit weaker (this could be my paranoid imagination, although I know he needs to get weight on him to fight the cancer). We went through the big D last week with all the diet changes and bribing, so I don't want a repeat of that either!

Guest snowberry

Chemo can cause nausea. I'm not sure which drugs he's getting, but Herbie needed anti-emetics for a couple of days after each doxorubicin treatment. It's worth mentioning to your vets that he's been off his food. I also think chemo makes their taste-buds change, and maybe kibble and canned food don't taste good anymore. I moved to making home-cooked food (he ate it happily, except the first time after doxorubicin, when he wouldn't eat anything). I just boil up ground beef or lamb or chicken pieces and vegetables, but other people on here recommend Evo. There have been other threads on cancer diets, I'm just not sure when :colgate Hope Dempsey picks up some strength.

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug With Angel LaceyLaine...she seemed to associate the food that she ate last with nausea. Her nutrition was a huge challenge.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I can't remember which chemo Dempsey is on. I had Cytoxan combined with Adriamycin. I had a metallic taste in my mouth after each chemo and was told it was a side effect of the Cytoxan. I have not heard of that side effect with Adriamycin or Carboplatin. If he's off his food, you may want to ask the Vet for an anti-emetic. And be aware that most of those cause a bit of constipation.

As far as associating a particular food with chemo; it happens a lot. I was told it might happen to me before my chemo. I didn't develop a food association but the smell of rubbing alcohol makes my stomach contract, even now 4 years later.

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey is getting Adriamycin. Hard to know if the pickiness is a side-effect or just him knowing if he holds out long enough, he gets a buffet to choose from. I guess we'll be finding out next week. I will mention it to the oncologist, she did tell me that if he loses his appetite, she can prescribe a med to help. And, if the side effect is constipation, maybe it'll balance things out for Demps. :)

I can't remember which chemo Dempsey is on. I had Cytoxan combined with Adriamycin. I had a metallic taste in my mouth after each chemo and was told it was a side effect of the Cytoxan. I have not heard of that side effect with Adriamycin or Carboplatin. If he's off his food, you may want to ask the Vet for an anti-emetic. And be aware that most of those cause a bit of constipation.

As far as associating a particular food with chemo; it happens a lot. I was told it might happen to me before my chemo. I didn't develop a food association but the smell of rubbing alcohol makes my stomach contract, even now 4 years later.

It might be worthwhile asking about giving the anti emetic medication as a matter of course, rather than on an 'if he needs it' basis. The only reason I mention this is that I've heard it said that once the nausea begins it's much harder to control so it's better if it can be prevented in the first place (if that makes any sense at all! Pardon me - it's approaching my bed time!)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest HeatherDemps

Thanks for that suggestion!

It might be worthwhile asking about giving the anti emetic medication as a matter of course, rather than on an 'if he needs it' basis. The only reason I mention this is that I've heard it said that once the nausea begins it's much harder to control so it's better if it can be prevented in the first place (if that makes any sense at all! Pardon me - it's approaching my bed time!)