How Many Calories Per Day?

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

Does anyone know how many calories per day I should be feeding Dempsey? Before the amputation, his weight was always at 71 or 72 pounds. Since starting chemo earlier in the week, he has become incredibly picky about what he'll eat. His weight was already down from not eating at the hospital, so I need to make sure he's putting on weight and not losing even more. Right now, what he's willing to eat is veggie burgers, plain grilled chicken sandwiches from McDonalds, boiled chicken and rice, hot dogs, and treats. That's about it. I have no idea how much he should be eating since I'm used to feeding him kibble.

Thanks!

Guest tcornwel

I can't answer the calorie question, but can you make up a batch of satin balls for him. They help with the weight and I would be surprised if Dempsey didn't like them. The recipe has been posted several times around this site.

If you know which food and how much you were feeding him before, you can probably find the calorie info for that. I would guess that right now he probably needs somewhat more calories (stress, the energy to move in a new way, gaining back a bit of lost weight) but as his recovery continues, his needs will drop somewhat.

When Batman was sick, I fed 3-4 main meals and a couple snacks a day. Focusing mostly on good dense foods with plenty of protein and calories, but not so fatty as to upset his innards. If your pup can have beef, might try substituting some of that for the chicken (or for the rice), leaving most of the fat with it.

Some wholesome things that usually go down well here are scrambled eggs and jack mackerel (stinky stinky cheap canned fish).

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Pot roast, baked chicken, pasta with cheese, waffles, meatloaf- you can just make it with ground beef, egg, oatmeal, tomato sauce, I wouldn't worry about kibble right now but you could try also EVO 95% meat canned food. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest HeatherDemps

I have a can of the EVO and haven't tried it yet, so I'll try that this morning. Thanks for all the other ideas!

Pot roast, baked chicken, pasta with cheese, waffles, meatloaf- you can just make it with ground beef, egg, oatmeal, tomato sauce, I wouldn't worry about kibble right now but you could try also EVO 95% meat canned food. :)