Does Applying Frontline Cause Your Dog To Shed?

Guest jonah305

Guest jonah305

Hi all,

Our white and fawn Sammie has been shedding on and off for a while now. However, I think it gets really bad right after we put Frontline on her. Our vet says that she's never heard of a case of a dog having a reaction to Frontline, but I just don't know...

We applied the Frontline on Monday and two days later, her fur would come flying off when you pet her. Her neck is going bald as well as her sides and underside. She used to have rabbit fur. :(

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Also, has anyone tried using melatonin to reverse the fur loss? A friend at the kennel took his dog to a dermatologist and that is what she recommended. It seemed to work for a while but once he took her off it, the balding returned.

Thanks for your help,

Bill

DoggoneElegant.com

Edited by jonah305

This is something we've been wondering about here too.

Back in the summer we went from using Frontline every 2 months to every month and shortly afterwards our two started losing fur on the front of their necks. However, we can't be sure it's the Frontline as it could also be seasonal hairloss, as it started in the Autumn, or could also be caused by their house collars rubbing off the fur.

I read the Frontline information leaflet though and one of the listed adverse reactions is alopecia, either localized or generalized. I'm a bit surprised your vet didn't know this :huh.

Haven't heard about using Melatonin to reverse hair loss but it'll be interesting to see what others say.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Are you bathing him first? That always seems to cause shedding.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest jonah305
Are you bathing him first? That always seems to cause shedding.

No, we make sure she doesn't get near water a few days before and after the application. It's hard, because she loves to go into the kiddie pool at the dog park.

This is something we've been wondering about here too.

Back in the summer we went from using Frontline every 2 months to every month and shortly afterwards our two started losing fur on the front of their necks. However, we can't be sure it's the Frontline as it could also be seasonal hairloss, as it started in the Autumn, or could also be caused by their house collars rubbing off the fur.

I read the Frontline information leaflet though and one of the listed adverse reactions is alopecia, either localized or generalized. I'm a bit surprised your vet didn't know this :huh.

Haven't heard about using Melatonin to reverse hair loss but it'll be interesting to see what others say.

Yeah, the front of the neck is where it's most obvious. Literally bald there. I guess it's ok, though, as that is one of my favorite part to give her kisses :-)

We have to apply flea protection year-round here in FL due to the weather. It's still in the 80's outside.

I use Frontline on both Sterling (white and Fawn) and Kelsey (white and brindle) and never noticed any "balding" in the area. Sterling does, however, shed a lot more than Kelsey all year round.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest crazy4greys

I don't use Frontline any more. It doesn't work on my guys. I use Advantage.

My cat had an experience where she had a bald spot the size of a quarter where it was applied. I stopped using it on her after that.