Spitting Up

Guest ss556

Alan gets rice & chicken as his meals a majority of the time. For a while he chokes/coughs when eating and I assumed it is b/c rice can be a bit dry and he eats fast. Yesterday he spit up mintues after eating (one wet spot in my room) then after dinner he did the same (another spot in my room) and this morning he spit up a bit more than yesterday. He gets pepcid before meals. Can anyone comment on this, please? Should I be really concerned?

Guest DaiyesDad

You might want to add a bit of water to his meals to help with the choking. As for the spitting up, not sure. I would call your vet and just ask.

I have no idea about the spitting up. I'd be a lot more concerned if he were throwing up. I would call the vet and ask too.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hopefully you have heard from the vet.

You might try over-cooking the rice and serving it really wet. You could also try some pasta in place of the rice and see if he still spits up. A couple of thoughts I had was the rice maybe causing his throat to feel kind of like he is choking, another was maybe acid reflux.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Is he eating too fast? Sometimes Spiff eats too fast and gets air in his stomach and then throws up. When this happens to Spiff, I've found it helps to "burp" him by giving him some firm pats beside his spine on his back. (Who ever heard of burping a dog?!?)

Edited by Spiff

Yes, I spoke to my vet this week. He said to feed him smaller meals, asked if he eats fast, I said usually, yes. Also, I did give him tramadol, which I forgot to mention to the vet the two days he did spit up. Maybe there's a connection? I haven't given it to him since and there has been no spitting up! We'll see.