Problems With Corns

I'm told that it is a fairly common problem with Greys that they develop corns on their pads. I have a boy who has one and I keep it filed down but it still seems to hurt him.He always wears a boot when we walk on any hard surface which does help.My vet can easily remove the corn, but I'm always hearing that they just grow back.So I guess I'm asking for advice from anyone who had experienced this problem with their dog and if they have had the corn removed. And I guess more importantly, did it grow back?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Yes, do have it hulled and apply Abreva post hulling. The hulling will provide relief from the pain and the corns often grow back smaller, etc. My boy had his corn hulled last over the summer and has been without his boots or tramadol since...September (knock on wood!). When he went in for his dental on Friday, my vet hulled them (he's grown another, but it doesn't seem to be painful yet), so that should buy us even more time :) Keep the pads nice and soft with regular applications of either abreva (which is an antiviral, so it may also prevent the corn from growing back or growing back large) or even just vaseline :) Good luck! Corns are a great big pain in the butt!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thank you so much for the feedback. I was at the vet this afternoon and I printed the info from grassmere for him to look at.He said he has removed corns with laser surgery but never hulled. He's willing to try it but won't do it with my boy awake.He said that on the foot with the corn, the pads are also thin so he's afraid that even without the corn, this foot will be sensitive to walking on hard surfaces.Nothing is easy is it....

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Hopefully Dr. Feeman will chime in here, but if not, general anaesthesia is not required for corn hulling. He might want to give the good doctor a quick ring:

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com/feeman.htm

Or, if he has it:

Veterinary Medicine, Publication Date: 01-DEC-06. Authors: Macherey, Carol L. ; Feeman, William E., III

"Using a dental root elevator to remove footpad corns in dogs: two practitioners' experience"

See also this thread:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=155611

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Gah! Hulling the corns does not require any anesthesia and is not painful for the dog AT ALL. Seriously.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

They often do grow back, but that turns it into a manageable problem rather than chronic pain.

Corn hulling!

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm

We are lucky enough to have Dr Carol as our vet (she did the article). We take Tay in to have her corn hulled and it takes less than 5 mins. She is a little sore on that paw for a day or two.

It should not have to be done with anesthesia.

I think the only reason my vet said he didn't want to do it with my boy awake is because he's never done it before.Wayne is only 7 but I don't like having him put under unless it can't be helped. I did email my vet about Dr Freeman's article so I'm sure he will read it.I'm grateful for Greytalk and the advice from people like all of you. I've had Greyhounds for 9 years now, and just when you think you know "it all" something different pops up. So thank you....

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg