Expressing Bladders..

Guest karma98104

Guest karma98104

Sorry if this should be in Off Topic but I wanted to make sure the health experts here saw my post..

I am soon to be pet sitting for a scottish terrier who is paralyzed in the back end. I will need to express his bladder several times a day. She's of course going to demonstrate for me.. but I'm worried.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can you give me a how to?

Thanks!

I was able to do it with Rascal but has been quite a few years now. It wasn't bad once you got the feel of it. That was the tough thing was to learn to feel the right place to push on.

I am sure you can do it!! You are kind for dogsitting!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

When I was a vet assistant the vets expressed bladders while I watched....it happened very easily....just like graysandmollie said once you get the feel of it no problem. Good luck!

Just wondering is the terrier using a cart to walk or do you help him with that too?

Guest karma98104
When I was a vet assistant the vets expressed bladders while I watched....it happened very easily....just like graysandmollie said once you get the feel of it no problem. Good luck!

Just wondering is the terrier using a cart to walk or do you help him with that too?

I have no idea! I will meet with them on Monday. The poor woman has been calling people like mad and no pet sitter will take her. I'm happy to learn but worried I won't be able to "get the feel of it"

I'm also interested ( concerned) ... how do you get him to poop???

Well in Rascal's case...he was not paralyzed in his back end but had FCE (similar to a stroke) the blockage affected his nerves that effected his bladder and pooping abilities. Pooping just happened as his intestines fill up. Perhaps this dog still has some control but Rascal had none. So it came out when it came out...not to be too graphic. It was very important to keep his bowel movements firm but not too much. He ate a lot of pumpkin.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021