Reaction(s) To The Antibiotic Primor

Guest gracie

Guest gracie

We adopted our first greyhound, Gracie, about a month and a half ago. A few weeks later, we brought in foster, Moonie, because Gracie was having separation anxiety. We only had Moonie a few days when he was diagnosed with a UTI. The vet put him Primor (for 10 days). 3-4 days after he started the Primor, he started having separation anxiety. At about the same time he also started to growl and nip at us if we would touch him when he was asleep or dozing off. About a week after starting the Primor he was given a dose of Nemex for worms. About a week after he was done with the Primor he stopped growling at us when we touched him. We have also had problems with him, pooping and peeing all over the house and in his kennel. I know that some of these behaviors can be related to him not feeling well but I was wondering if anyone else has ever had their greyhound react to Primor in a similar manner.

Guest boondog

Boon had a bad reaction to Primor, but it was not like Moonie's. Boon acted like he was hallucinating and he was panting heavily. It was rather frightening. The reaction happened within hours of his receiving the first, and only, dose. Some of what you describe could be related to his not feeling well, but it could also be behavioral. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from others who have more experience than I do. Is the house and kennel soiling happening only when you're gone?

Guest gracie
Boon had a bad reaction to Primor, but it was not like Moonie's. Boon acted like he was hallucinating and he was panting heavily. It was rather frightening. The reaction happened within hours of his receiving the first, and only, dose. Some of what you describe could be related to his not feeling well, but it could also be behavioral. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from others who have more experience than I do. Is the house and kennel soiling happening only when you're gone?

He has only had accidents in the kennel when we were gone, but he has pooped and peed while we were in the house ---- once, while we were only 10 feet away from him.

How often is he taken out during the day? How long is he left alone? When he is taken outside, do you make sure he always does the things he should do at that time?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest gracie
How often is he taken out during the day? How long is he left alone? When he is taken outside, do you make sure he always does the things he should do at that time?

Guest gracie

Guest gracie

In the last week and a half he hasn't had any accidents while we were at home. The accidents have just been in the kennel when we were gone for more than 2 hours. But, I just got word from home that we just had our first "no accident in the kennel day" since almost a month ago. He went 8 1/2 hours!!!!!!

Guest sheila

I can't say that my dog has had a reaction to Primor, but I won't use it because it has absolutely no effect on him. The last time he had it was after a dog fight and had extensive wounds and was started on Primor the same day. Within 2 days the wounds were so infected and with puss oozing from them he required a second visit to drain the puss and was put on Clavamox.

It's a sulfa based drug and due to the side effects would not be my first choice!

Side effects associated with this medication may include polyarthritis, hives, facial swelling, fever, hemolytic anemia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. In rare instances, behavioral changes, seizures, aggression and hyper-excitability have occurred.

http://www.pet-supplies-review.com/primor.html

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits