Newbie From Ny

Guest copperthunder

Guest copperthunder

I am moving to Tampa next month and am interested in rescuing a greyhound or 2. I have 4 chinchillas at the moment and am renting a 2 bedroom apartment. Do greyhound needs a large house with a backyard? How are they with people? I need some more insight on their personalities. They seem like loving dogs and I know many need good homes. Any info will do.

Thanks.

Guest loveagrey

Welcome!

Just spend some time browsing around the posts and you'll get a good feel for what they're like. Also, use the search function at the top to search for something in particular.

Or, of course, you can just ask questions and you'll probably get a hundred answers! (We're nuts that way. :lol)

:welcome2 Our hounds are very adaptable and each one has a different personality. I live in a one bedroom apartment and drive a Pontiac Bonneville. Very seldom are there space issues. My guys get walks during the week and we go to a dog park on the weekends. You'll find a lot of greyt info here. :gh_bow

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest Jokertx

What interested you in greyhounds?

Greyhounds for dummies is a fantastic book! It will give you a good general idea of how greyhounds are, but each one has its own special characteristics!

I lived in different apartment for approx. 2.5 years with my first greyhound. The amount of exercise they need will vary according to age and according to dog, generally they do not require much more than a good long walk or 2 or run in the park during a week. Most love people, my second greyhound thinks that all humans are put on this earth to pay attention to him! I am not sure how they are with chincillas but I have cats and they are great! (they were cat tested first of course)

In the tampa area there a variety of groups to pick from. I volunteer with GPA so I can give info about them if you are interested. It is most important to find a group and dog you are comfortable with!!

Good luck with moving!

Edited by Jokertx

Guest copperthunder
What interested you in greyhounds?

Greyhounds for dummies is a fantastic book! It will give you a good general idea of how greyhounds are, but each one has its own special characteristics!

I lived in different apartment for approx. 2.5 years with my first greyhound. The amount of exercise they need will vary according to age and according to dog, generally they do not require much more than a good long walk or 2 or run in the park during a week. Most love people, my second greyhound thinks that all humans are put on this earth to pay attention to him! I am not sure how they are with chincillas but I have cats and they are great! (they were cat tested first of course)

In the tampa area there a variety of groups to pick from. I volunteer with GPA so I can give info about them if you are interested. It is most important to find a group and dog you are comfortable with!!

Good luck with moving!

Thanks. I know that there is a need for these dogs to get adopted and have a good home after they are done racing. Get me the info.

Guest Jokertx

The website is greyhoundpets.com. If you start there it will give you an idea of the variety of greyhounds available. The calendar on the website will give info about the closest meet and greet to you. There you can interact with the dogs. Personally I am in school and did not have time to train a puppy so I chose a 4 year old. If you like puppies then that is wonderful too. Have you ever owned a dog? My suggestion is to try to be honest with yourself what you are looking for. They have a contract to be filled out, like most adoption groups. They also like to foster the dog prior to adoption to identify to help make a smooth transition from track to home life. Greyhounds have never seen a mirror, steps, or glass doors. A home visit will allow you and the group to ensure that the dog is an ideal fit. I personally like that the group is large so it offers many different opportunities to volunteer. If I missed anything please ask.

Thanks. I know that there is a need for these dogs to get adopted and have a good home after they are done racing. Get me the info.

Your reason for getting a greyhound should be that you want a greyhound, not just to help with the 'problem'

There are lots of animals at shelters that need homes as well.

What do you want in a dog? Then read some posts and search online and with some books and see if greyhounds will meet your needs. They may, they may not - in which case shelters are overflowing with animals as well.

Welcome and as Trudy said, you really should learn as much as you can before deciding on whether or not a GH is for you.

yes, they do need homes but so do millions of other breeds of dogs.

There are many articles on the web as well as reading the suggested "greyhound for dummies".

Check out the posts on this site under behavioral and training as well as everything else GH. You can get some greyt info this way and of course speaking with a rep in your area.

Where in NY are you now?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest copperthunder
Welcome and as Trudy said, you really should learn as much as you can before deciding on whether or not a GH is for you.

yes, they do need homes but so do millions of other breeds of dogs.

There are many articles on the web as well as reading the suggested "greyhound for dummies".

Check out the posts on this site under behavioral and training as well as everything else GH. You can get some greyt info this way and of course speaking with a rep in your area.

Where in NY are you now?

I am in Brooklyn. I agree on what you said and I will research them. I figured that there is a large racing population in Florida and a lot of those dogs need homes.

:welcome

And funny enough, there is a member of this board who has hounds named Copper AND Thunder! :lol

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

If you will still be around here during January. I will be at Petco in Carle Place, (by the Roosevelt Field shopping mall) the 4th Saturday of the month. If you would like to stop by and say hi, that would be greyt... OR you are welcome to meet my hounds ( I have 4) before that.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Gideon

They are dogs like any other - different enrgy levels, different personalities, etc. Get the book mentioned above, look up a local rescue group where you are moving and volunteer for a few weeks and then decide where you want to go from there.

Some people adopt retired greyhounds and wind up with a dog they weren't expecting. Know very well what you are looking for in a companion animal. Don't rush into adoption - it's a commitment like any other and for life.