Mya Is Home

Guest Dinamos

Guest Dinamos

Mya (Masala) is home!!! (Lots of pictures to follow).

She is a lovely girlie! Beautiful, self confident, calm and very friendly. Of course, it's love already for our family.

A strange thing has happened though and it's about my 2 labradors. As I mentioned earlier, we lost our greyhound girlie, Jilly, to cancer in July, 2007. She was the boss lady and kept the labs in line. She was always gentle and kind but she ruled the roost.

It seems as far as they are concerned, Jilly has simply returned home, the house is in order again. This is not a strange dog, they welcomed Mya, just like they would have done Jilly. They are calm and happy with her presence.

Do you think, they think, it's Jilly -- Is this possible?

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Audrey

Ontario, Canada

Welcome home Mya!! :confetti

I don't know how dogs think of each other, but they may just feel more at ease because you are. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

:confetti Congratulations! I'm glad all is right with your pack again. :)

I had a similar experience .... I had a weimaraner pup (Hannah) when I adopted my first greyhound (Frostman). Hannah adored him and I often took her to greyhound events where she saw lots of other greyhounds. Everyone joked that she was an honorary greyhound.

When he died she was so depressed it worried me. She just laid in his chair and didn't want to eat. :( I kept a friend's dog (non-greyhound) that she knew at my house for several days and that did seem to cheer her up a bit.

The day he was scheduled to go home, I got a call from my local adoption group asking if I could foster a greyhound that had just come in. To make a long story short, I decided to adopt him (Keno) and brought him home.

Hannah was absolutely beside herself with joy when I arrived at home with Keno! She leaped in the air and did her weimaraner "wooo-wooo" greeting for him. She was so happy it made me cry. Of course, Keno just looked at her like she was nuts, but that's another story ...

Now Frostman was white and Keno was brindle, so they didn't really look alike. And besides dogs identify one another primarily via scent. I know she "knew" it wasn't Frostman, but bringing Keno home seemed to make everything right with her world. She was her old self from that day forward. :dunno

I know she could distinguish different breeds of dogs. Her reaction to greyhounds or other weimaraners was very different to the reaction she had to other breeds or mixes. So maybe your labs, like Hannah, think a house isn't a home without a greyhound. :) And again, Congratulations! :confetti

edited due to dangling participles :)

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Dinamos

Thank you Cynthia for your post.

Your story is very much like mine. It made me smile and teary eyed.

Yes, I know dogs rely mostly on scent for information but still their reaction to Mya surprised me. It didn't occur to me at first, but you are so right, they must be reading my energy as well.

Hudson was raised by Jilly so I suppose it just seems normal to him to have Mya here. Hudson is only 2.5 years old and is very much an excitable, goofy teenager, but not when he laid eyes on Mya. He had this calm, glad to see ya attitude.

Molly, my other labrador, 7 years old, knows better but welcomed Mya just the same.

I'm sure there will be little things along the way that we all will have to sort out but truly it feels like normal in my house and its a very very very nice feeling. :banana

Audrey

Burlington, Ontario

Guest Dinamos

She is a lovely girlie! Beautiful, self confident, calm and very friendly. Of course, it's love already for our family.

A strange thing has happened though and it's about my 2 labradors. As I mentioned earlier, we lost our greyhound girlie, Jilly, to cancer in July, 2007. She was the boss lady and kept the labs in line. She was always gentle and kind but she ruled the roost.

It seems as far as they are concerned, Jilly has simply returned home, the house is in order again. This is not a strange dog, they welcomed Mya, just like they would have done Jilly. They are calm and happy with her presence.

Audrey

Ontario, Canada

Just an update on Mya and the Labbies

Well, it's only day 2 since Mya arrived. She is a very different girlie today. :reindeer

Well, this morning, she's whipping stuffies in the air and running through the front hall. She's play bowing with the labbies and chasing them and then they chase her. She's doing laps in the yard...she eats well, sleeps well, follows her people and is just such a lovebug.

"The Boss Lady" is back and the labbies are doing the happy dance. :heart

Audrey

Burlington, Ontario

[Just an update on Mya and the Labbies

Well, it's only day 2 since Mya arrived. She is a very different girlie today. :reindeer

Well, this morning, she's whipping stuffies in the air and running through the front hall. She's play bowing with the labbies and chasing them and then they chase her. She's doing laps in the yard...she eats well, sleeps well, follows her people and is just such a lovebug.

"The Boss Lady" is back and the labbies are doing the happy dance. :heart

Audrey

Burlington, Ontario

:clap :clap :clap

Looking forward to those pictures of Mya and her "labbies". :D

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Dinamos

Audrey

Ontario, Canada

Yes, I know..............you want pictures. :lol

I'm working on them, really I am.

I know I have said this a few times, but it truly is complete happiness in my house.

It's strange, Mya seems to know that this is her forever home. Seems to know what's expected, just like she's always been here.

Hudson is complete again. Mya plays with him just like Jilly did.....same set of silly rules, same game.

Molly is the same too. Friendly towards Mya, happy, but gives her a lot of personal space.

Yesterday, Mya started trotting and throwing her stuffies in the air, raced around the backyard going airborn a few times. Later in the evening when she was all tired from her day we saw her roaching in her crate with her teeth hanging out. (Yes, I got a picture, you'll see it soon). This was only day 2 since her arrival.

Do ya think she's happy? :lol

Audrey

Burlington, Ontario