Ugh, The Chewing

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

So Spud has some how damaged his dew claw. I have given him 50mg of benadryl and put cortaid on it to help with the itching. I also put a sock over it and lightly wrapped an ace bandage over it because Spud won't stop chewing.

I have to go to work in a few minutes, but I should be able to come and check on the pups.

Sadie has some diarrhea. She's been fine, but last night she got her 3 year rabies vaccination and her DHP/PC annual vaccination. I am sure it is probably the stress of the vet visit, but I gave her some immodium so hopefully I don't come back to find explosive diarrhea all over the house.

What else am I missing? I'm running on very little sleep (DF is out of town)....

Oh, and they are both muzzled to hopefully slow down the removal of the bandage and sock for Spud. (Sadie cause she likes to get into things she shouldn't)...

Any suggestions?

Shanti has her leg wrapped from another cut. She is a chewer too. Have you tried the Yuck, No Chew or Vicks Vapor rub? Vicks works the best for us. If I put a sock on it, she chews more. So now I just go with the vet wrap. If all else fails, try hot sauce. But I would not do that when you are not around in case he rubs it near his eye or something.

The Girls

The diarrhea could be a side effect of the vaccines and not just stress, so I would keep an eye on that. You might want to think about doing the "booster" shots every 3 years along with the rabies, if this will be her reaction every time. I've also read somewhere that the reactions tend to get worse over time, not better. :(

Good luck with Spud's paw! I have found that Mayhem is more likely to leave stuff alone if I don't wrap it, for some reason the bandages cause him to chew at it more. Very frustrating, I agree with you totally!

Guest BlackandBrindle

This was Sadie's first well visit at our vet and I don't know that the other vet clinic gave her that shot to begin with? I don't know, I don't have the paperwork in front of me....

I'll definitely watch the diarrhea, but she's a stress pooper, so it's not unlikely that it is stress. I also thought it was probably a reaction to the vaccs...

Unfortunately, I could not check on them today, so think good thoughts for Sadie's tummy that I don't come home to a house full of diarrhea :(

Guest BlackandBrindle

I came home to liquid diarrhea all over the foyer. Poor Sadie girl :( I had given her an immodium this morning, but obviously that did very little.

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet right now, but in the meantime, I thought I'd try the vast knowledge of GT.

I'm sure it was a reaction to the vaccinations, or at least a combination of the stress and vacs...

That is terrible - both for Sadie and for you having to clean it up. Are you fasting her? That would be my first step, for 24 hours, so that her tummy can settle. Anything you feed her now will just go right through because the digestive system is irritated. Hope it clears up soon!