Loss Of Appetite

Guest wrldruler

Guest wrldruler

After 4 months of chronic loose stools & diarrhea, we're having George tested and treated. I'll give a second post when we know more details of the test results.

The doctor put him on Metronidazole (antibiotic) and and Panacur (deworming). I can see from doing a search that these are common drugs for this type of ailment.

My question is that, after 24 hours since starting him on the above, George seems to have lost his appetite. He is picking through his food, eating one kibble at a time. This is the first time I've ever seen him not pig out on whatever was in front of him. He seems to be in good spirits otherwise, and does not appear to be having a tummy ache.

Just curious if loss of appetite is a normal reaction to this treatment.

Thanks,

Chris

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

Also, try some boiled chicken and/or hamburger to entice his appetite.....my thoughts are with you....

How much and how often are you giving him the meds? I noticed with Symba if I gave them to him at night...his tummy was better by mid-morning....and I also gave him a spoonful of rice pudding with his meds since I didn't know if on an empty tummy was bad...seemed to work as well...

Edited by SYMBASMOMMY

Guest charmsmom

I know the Metro can cause some stomach upset. I'm not sure about the other one, but I would definitely give him the Metro with food to lessen his stomach discomfort. Metro actually made my cat vomit when he was on it, so that helped him a bit.

Guest Ruthygirl

My greyhound Ruthy is on Metronidazole. I was told it could cause a loss of appetite because of side effects. In humans it can cause a metallic taste in the mouth(?) At least that is what my vet said. Ruthy refused to eat 24 hrs after she started taking the Metronidazole. So I added really yummy stuff to the food to try and entice her into eating. Chicken, Salmon anything to help. She couldn't afford to lose anymore weight.

Guest Courtney

You may want to look into Acidophilus capsules (you can find them in the pharmacy section). They're the good bacteria found in yogurt, and will help settle his tummy. I use these capsules for my animals... you can either break them open and sprinkle them over any food they will eat, or give the entire capsule.