Bodie's Fourth Trip To Osu For Chemo

Guest Bodie

We made our fourth trip to OSU for chemo on Friday. Only one more chemo to go! The next time, they will do a chest x-ray to see if the chemo did it's job and to make sure the cancer has not spread to the lungs. Bodie won't know what is going on, but it will be a stressful day for Mom until I hear the results of that X-ray. Here's hoping we get good news.

Cancer-wise, Bodie is doing very well, as far as we can tell. He is responding well to the chemotherapy. This time he didn't even lose his appetite after chemo. Here's hoping his white blood count will stay up because..... Bodie may become famous! I got a call from OSU's public relations department. They do 90 second news "packages" to send to TV stations all over the country. They are currently working on a story about Dr. Couto's tissue bank and his research linking bone cancer in greyhounds and bone cancer in humans. Laura, the woman who called me, said she contacted oncology to find a greyhound who is currently being treated by chemotherapy to use in the piece. She told me the department unanimously selected Bodie as their choice! The next time we are there, they will film him getting chemotherapy and me walking him around campus. At least that is the current plan. I'm not sure what they will do if Bodie's white blood count is too low to go on his regularly scheduled visit. I will keep you posted. Maybe you will see him on your local news station!

So cancer treatment and pending stardom are the good news items. The bad news is that Bodie's skin problems have worsened since his last visit. Two days before the trip, they got dramatically worse. He spent a lot of time in dermatology, having yet another skin culture. They just can't figure out what it is, although they are pretty sure it is autoimmune in nature. Bodie has had two skin biopsies that were sent to the best biopsy reader in the country. Even she doesn't know what it is. So Bodie is back on medication - steroids again for quick relief as he is quite miserable. The "rash" (for lack of a better term) came out with a vengenance on his rear end and he is quite miserable. The medicine should take hold in a few days and give him some relief, but I'm just at a loss as to why such a sweet boy has to suffer so. Poor Bodie, if it isn't cancer, it's skin problems.

Awwww...Bodie you are going to be a big celebrity sweetheart. Hug Bodie for us~I wonder if this rash will stop when he is finished with his chemo? Sending many prayers and white light for benign chest films. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thanks for the update on your sweet boy! Hoping he can fight off that skin infection and get some relief. Keeping Bodie in my prayers... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest greytmonty

I am so glad Bodie is doing so well with his chemo. Those darn rashes are horrible and impossible to treat....

Let us know how his TV appearance goes. Is there anyway we can see it?

Monty sends his best!

I am always eager to read about Bodie. He is already a star here on GT. Here is hoping his blood count stays fine, and that the itchy yucky miserable rash is history.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

"I wonder if this rash will stop when he is finished with his chemo?"

Bodie has had the rash, or some form of it, for almost a year before he developed cancer. We had him to a "local" derm/vet and when Bodie didn't get better, we took him to Dr. Couto in May. We were working on the rash with another "local" (when I say local I mean an hour and a half away, thus the quotes) derm/vet who was working with Ohio State, when we discovered the cancer. It was an enormous shock because we thought he was limping from the rash on his feet - not cancer in his shoulder. So it was back to OSU for his amputation and cancer treatment.

Edited by Bodie

"I wonder if this rash will stop when he is finished with his chemo?"

Bodie has had the rash, or some form of it, for almost a year before he developed cancer. We had him to a "local" derm/vet and when Bodie didn't get better, we took him to Dr. Couto in May. We were working on the rash with another "local" (when I say local I mean an hour and a half away, thus the quotes) derm/vet who was working with Ohio State, when we discovered the cancer. It was an enormous shock because we thought he was limping from the rash on his feet - not cancer in his shoulder. So it was back to OSU for his amputation and cancer treatment.

Poor baby. Rashes and itching are so uncomfortable. Sending our prayers. Please hug Dr. Couto for Lacers and me when you go back. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest snowberry

Poor Bodie, all this and a nasty skin thing too :( But way to go on the superstardom! :yay Hope the white cell count stays high for you, and that the steroids kick in and keep you comfortable.

Chemo and radiation therapies can cause rashes in humans, so I wondering if Bodie's rash is related to his treatment?? Has anyone ever given a greyhound an oatmeal bath?!? :P

Hope he feels better!!