Scratching.

Guest dauphinelaura

Guest dauphinelaura

Our girl has been scratching her neck so hard that we've noticed it's broken the skin. It's not really intense but I'm wondering if she's scratching so hard because she's so strong or because or something else, like an allergy?

Guest IGmom4now
Our girl has been scratching her neck so hard that we've noticed it's broken the skin. It's not really intense but I'm wondering if she's scratching so hard because she's so strong or because or something else, like an allergy?

Presto has a spot on his shoulder that he gets at, almost like a nervous habit. I tried treating it internally, benadryl, grizzly oil, etc., and externally with panalog, neosporin, etc. etc. What really has helped his itchies and his coat quality has been Kenic Oatmeal Pet Spray. All natural stuff, and it helped right away. Between his better diet and this, his coat really gleams!

Can you try patting her neck gently with a wash cloth that has been in cool water and almost squeezed dry?

Perhaps it is an allergy and the cool cloth will help.

Try it a few times a day and see if it lessons the itching.

If she scratches less, then I would guess it is an allergy.

Another thought: is she wearing a collar all day, and what is it made of?

Sometimes they can be sensitive to a certain fabric or a detergent that you wash the collar in.

Let us know what is happening and what you find out.

Find a heavy duty nail file and softly file off any sharp edges on her nails too.

Guest dauphinelaura

I'll try the wash cloth, and she has on a regular martingale collar, I'm not really sure what it's made of. Probably nylon. We take her collar off after her last turnout at night. Thanks for the suggestions!

Guest greytmonty

If I remember right you had questions about a food allergy in earlier threads.

To me this sounds like classic environmental allergies, and, again, I will say see a derm vet to get a work up!

good luck.

Guest dauphinelaura

Yep that's me! I've been going back and forth about the food allergies. I'm just not sure she has food allergies. We were doing elimination but right now we're just on straight Hills Z/D. I just wasn't sure if she broke the skin because of sheer power or if it was related to the allergies, be it environmental or food related. We stop her when we notice her starting and we'll just rub it with our hands instead of her scratching herself.

Guest greytmonty
Yep that's me! I've been going back and forth about the food allergies. I'm just not sure she has food allergies. We were doing elimination but right now we're just on straight Hills Z/D. I just wasn't sure if she broke the skin because of sheer power or if it was related to the allergies, be it environmental or food related. We stop her when we notice her starting and we'll just rub it with our hands instead of her scratching herself.

Unfortunately they can easily get skin infections when they scratch. monty is now on antibiotic number 5 with staph. You should have your vet take a look to make sure there is no infection, it makes it even itchier too.

Also try some Benadryl if your vet oks it.

Remember how rare food allergies are compared with environmental ones.

I am not a fan of "prescription diets" long term, instead I want to know the cause and eliminate it.

First, if you haven't already done so, I would have the vet do a skin scraping to see if there are any answers there.

Next take a look around and see if anything changed that would coincide with the beginning of the excessive scratching....new carpet or carpet cleaned, new dog beds, different detergent used in laundry, new cleaning product for floors, any lawn products, you get the idea.

Did you start buying different dog biscuits, chewies etc.

Although environmental allergies are more common then food allergies, food allergies are certainly a possibility. Eliminating all grains from my pupper's diet cleared up my itchy Lucy.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

When I get an itchy spot (my ankle bones are always breaking out in a rash), the best thing for it is washing the area very well with soap and water and taking an antihistimine.

You might try washing the spot with dog shampoo and water and giving Benedryl. If that doesn't work, it might be worth a trip to the vet.

I can itch my ankles raw in no time when it's really bad. Better pain than itch! :(