I Think He Ate A Plastic Bag

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

I'm not 100% sure, but....I came home to find the remnants of one of the plastic grocery bags we use for poop strewn about the floor, and on our walk this evening he got in the poop stance, but nothing came out.

This is a new thing (WHY? It couldn't possibly have tasted good!) and I don't know if it's a big deal or not, or what I should do. Muchos gracias!

Well...if you found pieces of bag strewn around, I'd take that as a good sign. They bag was ripped/chewed into smaller pieces - so he didn't swallow a whole bag in one piece. (Sounds strange- but I've seen dogs swallow and poo some huge things).

I'd probably do wait and see. Definately pay attention, though. Watch for any signs of distress - lack of appetite, not pooping within a day, panting, pacing, etc.

It'll probably re-appear tomorrow.

As for the "why" --- dogs are weird. (Or possibly, as it was a grocery bag, it may have smelled like whatever food was previously in it). Or- if your dog is anything like mine - they KNOW good stuf comes in plastic grocery bags, so they must be inspected! Until they become poop bags, of course.

Edited by sobesmom