Whip Worm

Guest Mommy2Gideon

Guest Mommy2Gideon

We took Gideon and a stool sample to the vet today because he's had the big D pretty much since we got him 3 weeks ago. He has whip worm and we are treating it with the Panacur powder.

My question is do we need to do anything to/for the yard? He has a corner in the back of our lot that he has claimed...should we keep him away from there? If they are in the yard will they die off with the winter coming?

Any insights would be great! Thanks.

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I had a non Grey that got whip worm and the vet said it can come from eating poop. If Gideon does that you might want to only send him out to poop with a muzzle and stool guard. If not I would just try to keep the yard picked up. whip worm is nasty but it can be treated. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Whipworm is prevalent in the area I live in. I keep my dogs on Interceptor which does prevent whipworm. Other heartworm products generally cover just heartworm, hookworm, and roundworm.) If you have your dogs on Heartguard, you might consider switching to Interceptor once things are under control.

Guest greyhound1
Whipworm is prevalent in the area I live in. I keep my dogs on Interceptor which does prevent whipworm. Other heartworm products generally cover just heartworm, hookworm, and roundworm.) If you have your dogs on Heartguard, you might consider switching to Interceptor once things are under control.

Where can you buy it? My vet doesn't carry it.

Our grey got whipworm once...and was on a regular regime of Interceptor at the time too! Interceptor reimbursed the vet for diagnosis and treatment, but not for follow up testing to be sure she was clear after treatment; that came out of my pocket.

In addition to ingesting them from grass, etc. , I have also read they can get them through the thin skin between their toes as the worms just sorta hang around waiting for a host to come by and pick them up. With wild animals out our way, they can be just about anywhere.

Edited to correct misinformation. It is the hookworm that can be caught from passing through the skin...not the whips.

http://www.petshed.com/articles/what-are-c...-whipworms.html

http://www.petcaretips.net/canine_hookworms.html

Edited by gryhnd_adoptee

I just treated my greyhound for whipworm, even though it was never found on a fecal. All signs pointed to Whipworm. We did 3 5-day doses of Panacur, initial, 3 wks later, and then 75 days after the initial. Then I started Interceptor about 1 week after the last Panacur dose was finished. I assume whipworm is in the envionment. My greyhound is not a poopeater, but grooms his feet. So he will likely be reinfected. But the monthly Interceptor should take care of that. Good luck.