Seizures

Guest tigerlily

Guest tigerlily

it seems a lot of greys have seizures..what is the cause..maybe there isnt as many as it seems but i have read about it quite often in here..is this genetic or from injuries??

Along with the things Burpdog mentioned seizures can be caused by brain damage. Usually a hard bump to the head, a concussion and then a lot of times they can find no cause at all.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It's interesting and timely that this thread is posted tonight. I just got back from an evening of karaoke at a coworker's house (no, I don't sing, I just make requests ;) ), and he was telling me that over Labor Day weekend, when they got back from trip and went to pick up their 2 year old yellow lab/golden retriever, she was siezing. The vet didn't know why, but they think (and hope) she ate a bad mushroom in the backyard of the house she was staying at. Apparently there was a patch of 'shrooms she had been into, but they couldn't tell if she'd ingested any or not. All of her blood work was good, and she didn't have a mark on her. Now they're just waiting to see if she siezes again :unsure .

Seizures can occur for many reasons including head trauma, tumours, poisoning, metabolic disturbances (i.e. low thyroid) and they can be hereditary in some breeds....but mostly they are idiopathic, that is they have no identifiable cause....most idiopathic seizures will start to occur when the dog is between 2 and five years old.

One of my greys now at the bridge had idiopathic epilepsy which started when he was five years old, his seizures were kept completely under control with medications....I also owned his Brother who was not affected.

IMO I do not think that Greys are any more prone to seizures than other breeds.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT