Question About Adopting A Greyhound

Guest angeltonysmom

Guest angeltonysmom

My husband and I have just lost our beloved Italian Greyhound, Tony. We have just gone through two and half years of an autoimmune disease and then renal failure. He consumed our lives and every waking moment. He was a whippet-sized IG, at 19" and at his best, 23 pounds. We are still mourning him immensely, but I am truly thinking about a big greyhound this time. It is only the sighthound breed for us. We had thought about a whippet, but I just don't know it that is the dog for us. What we loved about Tony:

1. He loved us more than he loved or cared about anyone else [although he warmed up to all of our friends]

2. He adored our grandchildren, who were so good to him

3. He had a unique relationship with me [his mom] and a different one with my husband, his dad...

4. He was the best thing to ever happen to us....

So we are looking for this relationship again, and I spoke with Patricia from All Breed Rescue in California, and she felt that a big grey would be good for us and we would be good for him.

If you can share your experience about living with greyhounds for the first time and the difference of having a smaller dog and going to a greyhound, this would be helpful.

Thank you so much.

Deborah

I'm very sorry for the loss of your little Tony. :grouphug To answer your questions, I grew up with a dachshund, but always wanted a big dog. For 25 years, I had black labs and/or golden retrievers, and adored them. However, once they passed away, I began looking for a shelter that placed homeless goldens, and happened across greyhound adoption. Curious, I researched the breed, found all the characteristics EXACTLY what I was now looking for in a pet, and proceeded with my adoption application. It's been 10 years since my first greyhound blessed my life, and I am profoundly grateful. Other than my latest "failed fostering" with a lovely senior lurcher (half grey, half lab [we guess]) I can't imagine having another breed share my heart and home. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Greetings, Deborah;

First; my deepest heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved Tony. The pain does lessen in time; though one never stops missing them; and wishing for just one more day..one more chance to hear that happy bark or feel that nose nuzzle you.

I can't give any advice as far as going from "whippet sized" to the larger greyhound.. but when I read what Tony meant to you... it so reminded me our Moondoggy.

We adopted him 1998; after my DD's less than perfect first year of college. She'd always wanted a grey; DH had always wanted a dog...and me?...well.. I was game...'specially seeing how DD, seemed to specially need a new love in her life..(other than the BF).. ((don't anyone ever tell her I said that!! :rolleyes: ))

Yup.. at first I thought he was HUGE..(he was rather tall!).. but.. just about perfect. He was patient; (let DD rest her books on him while she studied); protective without ever hurting; (he'd block people if he didn't like them by standing in front of his "person"..DD's BF was the first to be disliked...bye bye BF!); gentle (for 7 of his years with us he visited the nursing home once a week); he was the perfect dog.

When we lost him last February all of us were devastated. One night my DD called and was sobbing..and asking.."why, Mom? Why did he have to die?" I told her that I truly thought that he'd given us the best of everything he had to give; his love and devotion and that his body was now too damaged with disease to go on. But that maybe he'd shown us that love and devotion and given us all that joy so that we could someday open our hearts to another; that there were so many greys needing loving homes.

In the first month or so I couldn't fathom the thought of "replacing" him.. and but our home and hearts felt empty. My only thought was that I didn't want one that looked just like him; or his "brother" who we adopted as a senior in '00 and went to the Bridge in '02. Then came the day that DD went to a meet n greet and met this little black girl with white toes......who we all fell in love with.

That's our Minty... we think Moondoggy picked her out and sent her to us. Sometimes she barks at night in the living room...and I go out to find that she's moved from where all of them slept in front of the fireplace. And she's laying there with her head up..staring at spot where Moon & Journey slept. And I'll say.. "oh? are the boys here?.. it's okay... goodnight, guys..I love you." Then she sighs; puts her head down and snuggles into sleep.

One thing we're doing this time with Minty that we didn't do with either of the boys was to go to some of the Greyhound events. We did do our local meet n greets; and did volunteer work; (nursing homes; special ed kids, etc)... but in the past year that we've had Minty we've done some traveling with her; going to some of the Greyhound events...and it's fun.. a lot of fun! For all of us...2 and 4 legged!

Linda

There is no feeling in the world like being adored by your dog. Grace adores her mama and it makes me so happy. She is thrilled when I come home, whether I've gone for 20 minutes or 5 hours. She was my first dog, I've always loved animals but she was my very first dog of my own. She is beautiful, gentile, graceful and, well, perfect. I think the right grey would fit very nicely into your home. It sounds like a gentile and wise soul, like Grace, is just what you need. Grace picked me out in the kennel, she knew that I was "her person" immediately. She was three when I adopted her, it's been a year and a half since she became a part of my life. Good luck with your search for a new friend to welcome into your heart. Tony will send you the right dog if you are open to listening. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Your Tony sounds like he was a wonderful dog. The qualities you loved about him could certainly apply to a "big" greyhound. Frank is my hound; he has a very special bond with his Momma, and when my fiance came into the picture, he developed an equally special, yet unique bond with him. I have a nine year old daughter who Frank adores, and he's gentle with stranger's children, as well. He is such a big part of our lives. And size wise, even though he's big even by greyhound standards, he just doesn't seem all that big. He's a great leash walker, not hyper, pretty quiet; his big butt gets in the way sometimes but that's about it! He's a great traveler and has been on many trips with us, both hotel stays and camping; he is quite an attention-getter out in public, I warned my fiance early on to be careful when walking him, he's a chick magnet, and the silly man thought I was kidding! :P I really can't picture a future for us without greyhounds in it. They are wonderful dogs.

Guest angeltonysmom

There is no feeling in the world like being adored by your dog. Grace adores her mama and it makes me so happy. She is thrilled when I come home, whether I've gone for 20 minutes or 5 hours. She was my first dog, I've always loved animals but she was my very first dog of my own. She is beautiful, gentile, graceful and, well, perfect. I think the right grey would fit very nicely into your home. It sounds like a gentile and wise soul, like Grace, is just what you need. Grace picked me out in the kennel, she knew that I was "her person" immediately. She was three when I adopted her, it's been a year and a half since she became a part of my life. Good luck with your search for a new friend to welcome into your heart. Tony will send you the right dog if you are open to listening.

**** I truly hope it happens this way for me....a gentle and wise soul is what we truly need...

Thank you

I can't imagine having another breed share my heart and home. :)

**** This is exactly what I need to hear....

Thank you

Guest junefour

I am so sorry for your loss. I understand as there is not a day that I don't miss our gentle giant John. He was the sweetest pup I have ever met. He was my dads' dog and when he died John came to live with us and we were fortunate to have him for three years.

What I love about my pups. Oh gosh there are not really any words to accurately describe the rush of warmth when they nuzzle me, the feeling when you realize they trust and love you. I have special spooky and shy pups so when my girl Sophie looked into my eyes, snuggled close and licked me I cried. She broke my heart when we first brought her into our family and she is a part of my heart now. Brady just has to look at me and turn his head to the side and I melt, he owns me and Willie our foster who has fallen in love with us is the sweetest most gentle soul. He is a wonderful pup and I can't imagine why his owner dumped him for a fiance with a yorkie yapper! Jeremy (youngest) just adores him.

I can't imagine not having my greys as a part of my family.

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

My very deepest sympathies to you and yours......Ah Angel Tony is watching over his mommy...that is for sure....I believe with all my heart he will send you and your hubby your next doggie.....and I sure hope you find that dog to be a retired racing greyhound!!!! :wub:

I had a 15 year old cat Jakey who passed away two years ago of renal failure as well....I understand what you went through as we also gave our all to him through IV's, meds and a lot of love and caring.....I believe that Jakey sent me Symba because he knew just what I wanted in a dog.....these greyhounds........these wise, sweet, regal, precious greyhounds.....for me there is NO other breed of dog in my house.......they fill a void in me that I just cannot explain.....

Best wishes to you in finding your new addition!

Edited by SYMBASMOMMY

Guest angeltonysmom

I cannot tell you how encouraging and reassuring it is to read all of your posts! Thank you all for your condolences. It is just the greatest loss for my husband and I and it is cathartic to think about the dog our Angel Tony might send our way....

I am so sorry for your loss :grouphug

I am not a good one to give you advice because I have only positive things to say about greyhounds. They are different from IGs in many ways, but they are like them in many ways as well. Greyhounds are what I call the closest you can get to a cat in a canine body. :)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest VanillaBean

I am truly sorry to hear about Tony. I have 3 IG's now, all biggie iggies (16, 18 & 19 pounds). We just adopted our greyhound in July and I tell you what--she is just the most amazing dog! Different that an IG, but Wonderful! I think you will love having a greyhound, we sure do!

Guest PetersMom

Hi Deborah,

I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear about your loss of Tony. We too, lost our boy Peter on Monday and found this board as a place for support and information. I only wish we had found it in the three years that we had Peter. Its a great place to visit.

I have had many dog breeds in my life, with the one before Peter being a Great Dane (wow that was an experience). I have to say that there is something about a Greyhound that is just a bit different. I dont know much about IG's, so I cant really compare them. I just know that, while I loved all the dogs I ever had, Peter was by far the one I had the biggest connection with.

Greyhounds are loveable, sweet, funny and quirky. They are gentle, mischevious and loyal. I always said that since Peter was so easy to take care of - he was not demanding at all - I was able to give so much more time loving and spoiling him. Peter made me laugh, met me at the door everyday and sat with me on the couch. In general, Greyhounds are wonderful and loyal companions, only wanting love and attention from their people - whom they adore with no limits.

Anyone I know that asks about adopting a greyhound, I tell them its an experience that every dog lover should have.

I know things are difficult right now while you are missing Tony but eventually you will be able to provide a wonderful home to another wonderful doggie.