Bloating

Guest PDMS06

My friend just got a puppy (non grey) and we have been talking about what questions to ask her vet at her next appointment and the topic of bloating came up.

Can anyone give me information on this topic? I know it is very lethal and can cause a dog to die within half and hour if not treated. We're getting lots of differing information on the web which just confused us more. Is it OK to put water in their bowl with kibble? Is it better to have raised or lowered food bowls? How long do you wait to give them food/ water after a walk? etc.....

Thanks in advance!

I don't know much about bloat since I have never seen it before. But as a precaution I don't feed her 1 hour before/after a good run at the offleash park. I haven't really heard about water in the kibble being a culprit. I add water to her kibble for every meal as does many others here on GT. I do it more cuz she tends to cough a bit while eating when it is dry but not when there is water in it. I also have her food/water raised but it is more for comfort than anything. If you google Bloat you will find a lot of info. Maybe even google "bloat and greyhound". The larger breeds are more prone to it such as Great Danes and St. Bernards....I do have a friend that lost her St. Bernard to it. :(

The main thing with greyhounds is no exercise before/after a meal. Two hours on either side is good. Jury's out on bowl elevation and it doesn't seem to really matter with greys. NGA greyhounds are not actually very prone to bloat, but AKC greyhounds are. Seems to have something to do with temperament as well.

As far as signs of bloat, distended belly, extreme discomfort/pain, unproductive vomitting. If you google it, you'll find plenty.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest FordRacingRon

Boy are you going to get differences in opinions on some of your questions. Everyone will agree on the exercise part. No excessive exercise 2 hours before and after eating, no moderate exercise 1 hour before or after. Small amounts of water okay after a walk. Water okay in kibble (especially if dog is a gulper).

But the disagreements will come with the raised feeder. Years ago the answer was no raised feeder, then the thinking changed and it was a raised feeder (when we got Leia almost 2 years ago it was raised) over the last year supposedly its been changed back to non-raised. Many of us still have dogs that use raised feeders (especially older dogs, as they have more trouble getting to ground level) and many are at ground level. the debate races on........

Do a search on this forum about bloat or google it and you see many differnces of opinions (I heard someone at our GPA picninc, a person that really knows greys, say to another one they have never seen a grey bloat,,,that will be argued here as well). But it can kill, no doubt about that.

We feed our grey with her bowl on the ground, but she doesn't stand over it eating. She is usually in the "down" position in her crating eating her food. We've been feeding her like that for years now and no real problems.

One more question.... is a 30 min walk considered exercise for a greyhound?

We feed our grey with her bowl on the ground, but she doesn't stand over it eating. She is usually in the "down" position in her crating eating her food. We've been feeding her like that for years now and no real problems.

Depends on the hound and how fast you're walking :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Depends on the hound and how fast you're walking :lol

True! :P For Koda....I wouldn't consider that exercise really since she flat out runs at the offleash park almost daily. Each situation is different. ;):lol I would feed Koda within a few mins of getting home if I just went for a leisure 30 min walk...but that is 'our' situation.

Edited by meakah

Guest Tenderhearts

I fed my first grey with his bowl on the ground. Lori Ann also ate that way until she got into her senior years, and it was easier for her if I set her bowl on top of the dog food container (big tupperware container that holds 40 lbs).

Randy came from the kennels after 2 1/2 years there, and I just feed him in his crate since that's what he was used to, and the boy never skipped a meal from day one! :lol He doesn't lay down though :)