Copious Earwax

Guest Mollysmom

Guest Mollysmom

Hi all!

My boy Ronan has been experiencing slight discomfort with his ears lately due to the fact that his ears have been discharing a good deal of wax. The wax is not foul smelling; it is thick, and a dark brown in color. To alleviate the "itch" he is feeling, he rubs up against Molly or he rubs his head on the ground several times. Does anyone know what causes this and if it is a problem that needs immediate vet care? My DH and I have been cleaning his ears regularly with a saline solution and the buildup continues.

Guest ArtysPeople

When Arty got a yeast infection in his ear, the only symptom I noticed was tons of earwax. I had him in to the vet for a regular check, and wouldn't have even thought to take him in for just that, but I guess that's what regular check ups are for. :P

The vet was able to diagnose it very quickly by looking at some of it under a microscope, so I'd say its worth getting the pro's opinion. Once the infection was cleared up, wax production seemed to go way, way down.

Guest Mollysmom
When Arty got a yeast infection in his ear, the only symptom I noticed was tons of earwax. I had him in to the vet for a regular check, and wouldn't have even thought to take him in for just that, but I guess that's what regular check ups are for. :P

The vet was able to diagnose it very quickly by looking at some of it under a microscope, so I'd say its worth getting the pro's opinion. Once the infection was cleared up, wax production seemed to go way, way down.

Hmm, okay I guess I'll make an appointment to have his ears (and wax) looked at. :gh_bow

Probably yeast, but yes, your vet will know best :) Good luck and keep us posted!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

If it's not a yeast infection, it could be diet related. Both Beans and Stoney had a LOT of wax when we got them. They were on Nutro Lamb & Rice. When we switched them to Raw (or grain free kibble) we noticed a DISTINCT decrease in wax production. In fact, I have not had to 'deep' clean ears in over a year. Every so often I use a cotton ball to clean their ears - but there is never much wax and their ears don't smell.

Yes, dogs do get ear mites. The vet can tell you if it's that or an infection. We also found a dramatic decrease when we switched to raw, so I would look at the amount of carbs you are feeding as they can contribute to the problem.