Dislocated Toe?

Guest Tessiegirl

Guest Tessiegirl

I was wondering how long it usually takes for a dislocated toe to heal? Tessie's toe came out of place again. This time he gave her a shot to calm her - ace? - then gave her a shot in her toe to numb it. He was afraid to put her to sleep again. It didn't hurt her at all when he put it back in place. She now has a split on. He said to re-check it in two weeks...this toe is going to end up costing me $1,000 by the time we are done :eek ...She hardly pay attention to the splint anymore. She still wants to go on walks...

Thanks,

Debbie

Tessie must have REALLY dislocated her toe because this happened several times to my girl and all I had to do was move it a tiny bit and it popped back in....and she never showed any signs of pain. Maybe it matters which toe...my girls was the little toe or outside toe.

Guest Tessiegirl

It was one of the outside back toes. It was really odd looking - bent under her foot.

Tessie must have REALLY dislocated her toe because this happened several times to my girl and all I had to do was move it a tiny bit and it popped back in....and she never showed any signs of pain. Maybe it matters which toe...my girls was the little toe or outside toe.

When my Kiowa badly dislocated outside back toe and after treatment failed he ended up having it amputated. Why did she have to be put under just to relocate the toe?

There was some good advice in this thread from a while ago: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=170595&hl=

The longer you can let her rehab the toe, the better. Typically, Ivy's been splinted or soft wrapped for a minimum 4 weeks, then we leash walk for a little bit after that. In fact, after this last dislocation, she's been leash walked only for about 3 months. So far, no more dislocations (we were at once a month before :blink: )

It's not uncommon for the dog to go under to reset the toe - all four times, Ivy had to be sedated. Hers were all pretty nasty, too.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest DorianGreyhound

When it happened to my Whippet, he didn't even react. I popped it back and it's never popped out again. Ewww!!!

Poor girl, I hope she's back to new soon.