Wheezing Baby

Guest greytdame

Guest greytdame

Putie started wheezing this morning (like a backwards cough) and then will sound like she's hocking something up. She is eating and drinking. She trots out to potty with no movement problems. She is a bit lethargic and is only doing the wheezing upon exertion. Her ears, tongue and gums are all nice and pink. Any thoughts on this??? She is 10 and I don't think she's in immediate distress but it is disconcerting. I know wheezing is a symptom of Hypothyroidism but she doesn't have any of the other symptoms for that. I'll be at the vet when they open in the am. I would take her tonight for an emergency visit but I'm not sure it's necessary. PLEASE - give me some feedback. I've lost so many in the past 3 years to cancer that I'm trying hard not to panic. I immediately thought heart but she had her check-up and shots less than 2 mos ago. The only new thing is that the vet changed her from Heartgard to Sentinel 2 mos. ago and she had her Sentinel Sat. We did have a foster that was just adopted. I had him for only 2 weeks but he came straight from the track so I guess Kennel cough is possible but I thought that was a "hack" not a wheeze. Any thoughts???

Thank YOu - I'm a worried mama

Guest greygirls2

Kathy.....I don't think it's kennel cough. That's a very deep cough...sounds like it's coming straight up from their toes....not a wheezing. Could it just be reverse sneezing? Maybe she sniffed something up her nose? Hope she's feeling better.

Guest greytdame
Kathy.....I don't think it's kennel cough. That's a very deep cough...sounds like it's coming straight up from their toes....not a wheezing. Could it just be reverse sneezing? Maybe she sniffed something up her nose? Hope she's feeling better.

I thought it was a reverse sneeze at first but it's been going on alllllllllll day! That's what has me in a dither. Thanks, maybe something is REALLY stuck in her nose!

Guest greytdame
I'd get her checked out if it continues the rest of the day, especially if she's acting lethargic. Is it a wet type of cough?

It's really a reverse cough - a wet wounding inhalation and then a wheeze upon exhalation. When she does cough, it does sound wet but also like she is getting something up. She only does it upon exertion. While she's lying here beside me, she is breathing easily and quietly.

Guest DorianGreyhound

If it only happens during exertion, I would have her checked out. Not to be an alarmist, but this was the first sign of heart failure my rescue Whippet (now at the Bridge) showed. It could also be, hopefully, something much more benign, like a foriegn object or an allergy to something.

Guest greytdame
If it only happens during exertion, I would have her checked out. Not to be an alarmist, but this was the first sign of heart failure my rescue Whippet (now at the Bridge) showed. It could also be, hopefully, something much more benign, like a foriegn object or an allergy to something.

I've got a new symptom - she's hoarse. I was very concerned about heart and I know in humans, heart can present with hoarseness. Can it also in dogs?

Thanks

Guest DorianGreyhound

I don't know that one- but I'd have her checked. It's probably something simple and not heart at all! But if it is, rest assured there are some great meds out there. Many dogs in my primary breed live for years and years with heart conditions (Whippets).

Guest greytdame
I don't know that one- but I'd have her checked. It's probably something simple and not heart at all! But if it is, rest assured there are some great meds out there. Many dogs in my primary breed live for years and years with heart conditions (Whippets).

Thank you soooo much - that eases my mind. She'll be at the vets office when they open in the am. She's eating her supper now with her normal aplombe, but I'm not taking any chances!

Guest Tenderhearts

I will say that when my oldest left Raven with me, she was lethargic and not eating well (untreated CHF), in addition to coughing.

If it is heart-related, medications can do wonders! The vet gave Raven possibly one good year on the heart meds, and she passed two years this last April :)

Guest greytdame

All of Putie's test results wer NORMAL. I am sooooooooo relieved. The vet found nothing yesterday but opted for caution due to her littermates' histories. He did bloodwork and x-rays and today we got the results that everything is just as it was 2 months ago during her annual wellness visit, and has been for the past 8 years or so. Whew! My vet did say that if it happens again to bring her back but he thought it was allergy. He said she may have had an allergy to something that our foster dog brought on him from the kennel and left on her bed. She has been sleeping on the bed he used while he was here. It's in bad shape anyway so it'll get tossed and a new one brought in. It's sooo seedy that I can't even wash it without disentegration. Thank you all for your support. It helps soooo much to have people to toss ideas around with during that interminable wait for the vets office to open! Y'all are the best!!!!!!!!