Need Thyroid Advice (non-grey)

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

We're having comprehensive bloodwork done on the whole pack, since we realized that some of our gang have *never* had a blood test (except the pre-op bloodwork when they were neutered at six months!). With the two that were at the vet every few weeks... it got easy to overlook the healthy ones!

Dr. Linda just called with the results of Baloo's bloodwork, and she said his T4/ED was *really* low (under 2; norm is 8-40). He's a coonhound mix, so if that's true, that *is* low. She said they can retest, "But if that number's right, he needs to be on thyroid meds."

He has NO symptoms. None. Nothing. He seems as healthy as can be. Appetite, weight, behavior, and coat are all... perfect (we call him our "golden boy," and that's not just for his coloring!). When Whistler developed thyroid problems, he crashed FAST--dropping 10 lbs and losing all the hair off his rump in 6 weeks. There was absolutely no question that his bloodwork was accurate; we never even went beyond the basic T4 count; there was no need to! And with him, we could always tell when we needed to retest--either behaviorally or the quality of his skin/coat, or other signs.

But this.... I just don't know. My instincts tell me that there's nothing wrong... but my instincts didn't go to veterinary school.

Baloo pitched a fit when they drew his blood on Monday; I don't really want to rush him back in just to have this done (I'm taking Rusty in tomorrow). He's due for his vaccines in October; I'm inclined to have the re-test done then. Dr. Linda said she'd check to say if the no-cost recheck could wait that long, but I can tell she thinks it's pretty clear this needs to be addressed ASAP.

Thoughts? Is there something here that I'm not considering?

Thanks!

If he isn't having any issues, I'd keep an eye on him and recheck in October -- at that time, you can draw enough blood to send off for the panel if the T4 is low again. One T4 isn't a very good diagnostic -- it fluctuates and can be low, or high, for lots of reasons.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greensleeves

Well, DH wants it re-checked ASAP, so I called to let them know I'd be bringing him tomorrow with Rusty.

What's in the full thyroid panel, so I know what I'm asking for?

Thanks!

You want MSU (Michigan State University)'s premium thyroid profile. Includes fT4, TT4, TT3, TSH, thyroid antibodies, maybe another thing or two :lol , and the MSU people's interpretation.

MSU is pretty much the gold standard for thyroid profiles.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.