Microchip Question

Guest Tigonie

Guest Tigonie

To make a long story short, I'm trying to find out about microchips in Europe. From what I understand, the chip has to be a fifteen digit 134.2 kHz microchip that meets ISO standards 11784 and 11785. My vet says they sell AVID chips that meet ISO standards, but everything I'm seeing on the web says to bring your own scanner, because Euro readers don't read American chips. The AVID website isn't very helpful either. Their regular chip is only 9 digits, and their "EURO Chip" only has 10-digits--which sounds to me like it isn't compliant with actual European standards. :angry:

What brands of chips are actually sold in England? I saw this one advertised online, but is it really a European brand? I couldn't find it for sale at any other online stores, and at $50 a pop, I'd like to be sure it's right. I'd consider paying a reasonable amount to purchase a chip of whatever brand and have my vet insert it.

Does anyone have more info about how/where I can get an appropriate chip and not have to fuss with a reader? Thanks!

Guest grey_dreams

Not an expert at all. But as far as I know, the chips here (continental Europe) have 15 digits. Don't know if you could buy one from the UK online.

my understanding is that there is a brand of chip you can purchase in north america that will work in europe but can only be scanned in north america by the newest scanners. i know because that is the kind of chip phoenix has. unfortunately i don't know the manufacturer.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Here's a link to the introduction to the UK Kennel Club's Petlog service, which includes links to the websites of manufacturers for microchips recognised here in the UK, and also one to the European Pet Network for information about the rest of the Continent.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/433

Hope that helps!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest Tigonie
Here's a link to the introduction to the UK Kennel Club's Petlog service, which includes links to the websites of manufacturers for microchips recognised here in the UK, and also one to the European Pet Network for information about the rest of the Continent.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/433

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I see two manufacturer sites on the list that readily sell the chips and list their prices. The Pet Chip Company sells a 10-pack for 72.20 GBP including VAT and shipping (around $144 USD). It's not the cheapest price per chip, but it is the smallest quantity (everyone else sells them in lots of 25+) and it comes with ID tags and database registration.

You have to have some sort of implanter code to buy the things, so I guess you have to be a vet or otherwise certified to implant them. Maybe I can work something out with my vet for her to buy a pack so we can have our pets chipped with these. If she is willing to buy a 10-pack, she'd more than break even, since we have 4 animals (a dog and 3 cats) at $42 a pop, or $168. Plus she'd have 6 more chips to potentially sell to other people. It is a military area, and people besides us do go overseas.

Who knows, it may not happen that we wind up in Europe. I just wish we could all use the same technology, so it would be easier.