Back Where We Started

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

We've come full circle. I started out with Coach in 1999 with leash walks and now we are back to leash walks. Shortly after we got Cougs, within a year of when I got Coach, we had a fence built. When we moved, the first thing I did was have a fence installed for potty breaks. Now, Coach has weaker back legs and has fallen on the 6 or so steps from our backdoor to our patio landing. The steps are wooden and are fairly narrow. Yesterday her back legs fell out from under her as she was going down the steps and she received a pretty good size gash on one of her front legs. When she first gets up, she's a little stiff and walks a little gimpy, but it seems a little better tonight. Anyway, I think our days of unleashed potty breaks are over. We have 4 steps out our main door and they are carpeted and seem to be a little wider. She hasn't had any problems on those so far.

Only problem is Cougar wants to go out on a leash too and they get really excited. Slipping and sliding ensues. Coach went spread eagle with her back legs in front of the door tonight (horrible sound - I was sure she broke a bone, but she has actually trotted around nicely after it occurred). I've replaced the small mud rug with my son's larger race track rug until I can get to town tomorrow and purchase a replacement rug that covers most of the space there. Wood laminate floors where the best thing we did as far as clean-up and spills, etc. but it was the worst thing I could do for geriatric dogs with very long legs. I also miss my last house that was built on a slab.

Tara

That must be pretty scarey to see your guys slipping and sliding.

Can you build a long ramp over the back steps? With indoor outdoor carpet on it?

Or put indoor out door carpet on the steps?

If I were you I would be buying a lot of rubber backed rugs and runners for the wood laminate floors (if they get dirty you can wash them).

When I moved to my new place the kitchen and diningroom connected and had very nice vinyl flooring but there was just too much sliding going on that I now put almost wall to wall carpet down.

Hope this helps.

If you've got a Home Depot or similar, sometimes they have thin cheap rubber-backed mud rugs that can be hosed off. Usually they are green and not too appealing to look at but they are GREAT for slippery floors.

Second the idea of a ramp down the steps. Sheet of 3/4" plywood bolted at the top step would probably do it.

Sending hugs and hopes your baby heals quickly.

P.S. When I have an injured dog who has to go out on leash and everyone gets excited, I tell them same thing, same tone of voice every time, sorrowful "Noooo, nooooooooo, we're just going out." After a few times the others get the idea and quit hopping around.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Yes I have acquired quite an eccletic collection of rugs of various sizes. I just didn't have a large one in front of that door since they weren't using it a lot. So far, it's kinda been nice taking a few minutes to walk them each time for pottying. I'm sure that will change when it gets cold, but as long as it's in triple digits it's fairly easy.

I've started telling them to "get on the rug" and make them stand calmly before I hook their leashes so they can associate that with the leashes for potty time as opposed to leashes for anything else.

Coach is not limping as much today, but is licking a little more than I would like. I think I'm going to put some cotton and vetwrap on their while we are asleep tonight.

I'm afraid a ramp over our existing stairs would be too steep even with carpet. We are considering putting a pool in back there and I may move the fence off the front of the house where the easier carpeted stairs are. She handles those much better, even when a back leg goes a little weak. Edited to add: there are only 4 steps there which she usually bails off the side after the top three.

Tara

Edited by TaraCoachCougar

Oh gosh! :grouphug I would say work on desensitizing with the leashes. Keep them handy so you can just pick up the leash and jingle it and then walk away (make sure everyone is on firm footing when you do it). Do this until they ignore you. Then practice putting the leash on their collar, taking it off, and putting it away. Do this until they ignore you when you do it. That way the sound of the leash doesn't send them into a frenzy.

Good luck, I know that sound when they lose footing on their back legs, Iceman did that a few months ago and I was more upset than he was about it!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I'll have to work on the desensitizing. They have gotten better since it is becoming more routine. I've even allowed them to use the back steps to the yard a couple of times, but mostly we are still going out the front on the leash. I think Coach is more stable once she's up and walking around a bit first so I take out on a leash definately right after they come out of their crates.

And poor Cougs, bless his little heart, is dealing with full-fledged corns right now. Hopefully, we'll have them popped out tomorrow. The vet wanted to wait since he has been doing so well with his twice a week bandage changes. He didn't want him to start associating the two together. But he can barely walk. He has a very wide stance as he is trying to put most of his weight on the insides of his paws as the corns are towards the outside on each front paw. I'm going to try that bee proposil (sp?) that was suggested on here last week.

Tara