Very Dry Flaky Skin

Guest yankeedownsouth

Guest yankeedownsouth

Hi all - I'm still in the process of adopting my first grey. I talked with the foster dad at length this week, and he says Jetta has really really dry flaky skin. He tried fish oil caps with no luck, and he's now started giving her a bit of olive oil each day. To me, this sounds like a possible food allergy. He feeds her Pro Plan Lamb and Rice so he was thinking probably not allergies.

Do any of you have experience with this?

Guest Oh_Greyt

How long was he trying the fish oil caps? Those can take several weeks to "kick in"... Nina had this when I first got her. After about a month or more, it finally started calming down. I know it sounds stupid, but my vet always says to try Head and Shoulders shampoo, along with a premium quality diet. I didn't do the shampoo for her, just the diet. She's shiny and flake free now (after two and a half months). Also, you may want to rule out flea or food allergies... especially if she's itchy. However, all the dogs at our adoption kennel seem to have flaky skin - and it seems worse after their initial baths.

Guest yankeedownsouth
How long was he trying the fish oil caps? Those can take several weeks to "kick in"... Nina had this when I first got her. After about a month or more, it finally started calming down. I know it sounds stupid, but my vet always says to try Head and Shoulders shampoo, along with a premium quality diet. I didn't do the shampoo for her, just the diet. She's shiny and flake free now (after two and a half months). Also, you may want to rule out flea or food allergies... especially if she's itchy. However, all the dogs at our adoption kennel seem to have flaky skin - and it seems worse after their initial baths.

Jetta's a bounce, and she's only been at this foster home for about 3 1/2 weeks, so maybe that wasn't enough time for her to benefit from the fish oil caps. If I end up adopting her, I plan on putting her on a super premium food that I have had good luck with with my other dogs. I tend to feed half kibble/half raw or homecooked, so that may help.

She's on flea meds so hopefully that's not the problem. Also, she did have a skin staph infection when the foster dad first got her. She took all her medicine and then was still flaky. The vet confirmed that the staph was gone, and she just has dry flaky skin. I had a dog that developed a skin staph infection once, and that was from allergies. So maybe it's all kind of related.

I know I'm jumping the gun with this since I haven't adopted her yet, but I just can't help it. Too excited! :)

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

The fish oil caps may be too much for her. Sometimes if you give too much of the good skin supplements, you can actually make skin issues worse. I would nix the fish oil and start with 400 iu of vitamin e once per day. I would also probably give her a bath is gentle oatmeal dog shampoo or NuSal-T shampoo and follow with HyLyt Spray. I found both of the latter products work well with flaky skin or seborrhea.

Hope this helps.

i would also look into a food change too, it might be a food allergy. Usually something will low grains and lamb or duck.

eta - the hylyt spray can be used daily and helps soothe dandruff and flaky skin.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest yankeedownsouth
The fish oil caps may be too much for her. Sometimes if you give too much of the good skin supplements, you can actually make skin issues worse. I would nix the fish oil and start with 400 iu of vitamin e once per day. I would also probably give her a bath is gentle oatmeal dog shampoo or NuSal-T shampoo and follow with HyLyt Spray. I found both of the latter products work well with flaky skin or seborrhea.

Hope this helps.

i would also look into a food change too, it might be a food allergy. Usually something will low grains and lamb or duck.

eta - the hylyt spray can be used daily and helps soothe dandruff and flaky skin.

Yes, I was planning on bathing her when I got her. I make a wonderful handmade soap for dogs with oatmeal and shea butter. It works well. I'll also look into the spray. Thanks!

Guest D_MansMommy

Also since she is a bounce, it may be stress related. Don't do too many things to her at once. It could add to the problem. Make one change at at time slowly.

It does take a while for the dietary changes to kick in. Peanut butter in the ol' Kong in the morning helps (mix it in with the breakfast kibble if desired).

We've found that after a bath with a suitable shampoo (easy on the detergent- just enough to clean!), using the Kong "Zoom Groom" while they're still a little damp really helps get the dander out along with loose hair. Works great!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)