Adequan

Guest Maddison

Guest Maddison

Has anyone ever used this for arthritis? Our vet has recommended it. Chondriotin and glucosamine are NOT doing the trick for our little old lady. She was limping this morning. No sign of cancer, just arthritis and joint mice in one shoulder. I've searched the internet and have only found that it could cause bleeding disorders. Anything else I'm missing? Anyone lose a dog to this drug? So often the brochures look so sparkly but then when you do your homework you find the drugs are not so nice.

Guest TinasTroops

Yup Booker is on it right now!

No effects and the results even after 1 shot is very visable. I am exceptionally happy with this product

Guest Destiny

I used it on my previous dog, a Lab, and it did wonders for him. He was on it for about 3 years. Some dogs will eventually build up a tolerance to it, which he did, and the last year of his life he was on low-dose prednisone to keep him comfortable. He experienced no side effects from the Adequan.

Glucosamine can cause insulin resistance. It has been known to do this in humans and horses.

Guest TinasTroops

My Vet has said to make sure the pup is not on Asprin while taking the injections becuase it can cause the blood to thin and then clotting would be an issue.

Booker is doing so well on it, I don't find him as stiff as he was, and getting up is not as difficult anymore for him either.

Edited by TinasTroops

We use it our 14 1/2 year old, Willow, with great success. It's amazing the difference after she gets an injection - its much easier for her move around and go up and down stairs.

Lucy, Mommy to Alex (Fuzzy's Alexander), Zachy, and Lovey (RWC First Love). Angels Willow (Memu), Gracie LuLu (Reward Whammo), Prince (Dundrum Prince) and Rally (My Rapid Rally) , Siamese kitties Dallas and Dixie, Balinese kitty Zoe and bridge kitty Miza

Guest IndysDad

Indy has been on it for the last 2 years with excellent results; he gets a 4mL injection once a month and he weighs 78 lbs; this keeps him very comfortable with no side effects...we just call our vet and they pre fill a syringe; we do the injections at home (alternate the butt muscle every month). We went to Adequan because the amount of glucosamine,msm amd chondroitin he was on was causing a mushy poop problem...no problems since we switched..

HTH.

Guest TinasTroops

My Vet showed me how to do the injections and I prepurchased the syringe and bottle of Adequan and do the monthly injections myself.

My vet said it works about as well as cosequine, for about the same price, it's a matter of which you prefer--pills every day or injections once a month (once you get through the front loading).

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest SusanP

Simon also began limping from arthritis in her shoulder 2+ years ago, when she was 9. We tried both Adequan (our vet says she's seen some wonderful results from it, but we didn't get any improvement with it, though it didn't cause any side-effects, either). We tried acupuncture for a number of sessions, and that also didn't help.

What did help was Previcox once a day and Tramadol for pain when she is having a particularly bad spell. She also takes glucosamine and chondroitin 3 x a day. We make sure we don't stop exercising her--we walk slowly if need be and shorten walks depending on her ability to handle them, but early on she lost muscle in her shoulder, and I do feel that regaining that has been a big part of her improvement.

She is doing better now than she was 2 years ago, but this month she is doing worse than she did for the past year. She kind of goes up and down. She always limps, but if she moves fast and is eager to walk, I figure she's doing ok. If she slows on walks, doesn't jump on us when we get the leashes out, and licks herself a lot, we put her back on the Tramadol.