Temaril P

The new vet gave Hogan this, and we are going toward the maintenance dose. He hasn't been itchy for a week and he's really not sure what to do. :rolleyes: He has been sleeping more and seems hungry all the time, but all the hot spots and chew lesions are starting to heal.

The daily dose should be 100 to 200 mg a day, depending on what works. I understand it is a mix of a steroid and an antihistamine, and I'm wondering about long term use.

Thanks!

Guest Greensleeves

My Flint (not a greyhound) has been on Temaril-P for probably 4 years now (?). It was a miracle drug for him. The steroid dose is *very* low, and we give him the smallest dosage we can (which amounts to one pill on mornings when he needs it). Occasionally he'll get into a bad cycle with his allergies, and we'll hit the loading dose again, and that seems to take care of things.

Flint just had some pre-op bloodwork done this morning, and he's the most medically monitored of all our dogs, so I'm sure we'd have noticed if he was starting to show adverse symptoms from the prednisone. So far, the benefits outweigh the side effects.

Good luck!

Guest greytmonty

Monty has been on Temaril P since January. Unfortunately he has terrible environmental allergies for which he is now getting hypoimmunization shots, but his allergies are still so bad that he requires the maximum dose of Temaril P at present, which is 3 pills twice per day. Our vet is comfortable with this for now because of his terrible quality of life without it. The maintenance dose did nothing for him.

We hope to wean him down in a few months.....

If you read the website and other materials you can learn more. There are definitely risks so you have to weigh quality of life issues.

Guest grey_v

Bailey started on Temeral - P a year ago April because of severe environmental allergies and 3 different vets assured me that the steroid dosage was very low and the risks were minimal. I actually decided to try the allergy anyway shots because his allergies were pretty severe and the shots are safer then medication, but much more expensive than I expected.

I was able to take him off the Temeral - P completly in May (yea!). He did develop one hot spot recently, but I have been able to treat it with warn compresses.

Guest greytmonty
Bailey started on Temeral - P a year ago April because of severe environmental allergies and 3 different vets assured me that the steroid dosage was very low and the risks were minimal. I actually decided to try the allergy anyway shots because his allergies were pretty severe and the shots are safer then medication, but much more expensive than I expected.

I was able to take him off the Temeral - P completly in May (yea!). He did develop one hot spot recently, but I have been able to treat it with warn compresses.

I am happy to hear the shots worked for Bailey! I may PM you if that is ok to learn more.

That's great news for Flint and Bailey!

Monty and Hogan seem to be in the same boat. Just when I get the food under control, things start blooming.

I'll check out the website, but I am glad to hear of somebody else who has had their dog on it long term. Hogan's quality of life and ours is definately better in just a week.